New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Lost Airport connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

musolen

The Airport on my G4 1Ghz(OSX 10.3.9)Powerbook has gone. I got a system crash out of the blue and it would only restart with extensions off. I ran Techtool Pro, Norton, Disk Warrior, Hardware Tests etc but everything came up fine. The airport card was the culprit. I backed up everything and did a complete system reinstall but the Airport card is still not recognised when everything else works fine - "no card recognised" in the 'About this Computer' panel although it is still internally connected.
I ordered a Brand New internal airport card which arrived yesterday. It is major surgery on this G4 to fit but I have just finished and the problem is EXACTLY the same. "No airport card recognised" with a brand new card in there. I have checked the seating connection a thousand times but it is as firm as it is going to be.
If I rule out the Airport Card,(I have tried 2 cards) Software (I re-installed) and connections (they are seated as well as they can be) is there anything else I can try?
I am at a loss as to what the problem can be so any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Musolen
QUOTE Thanks
musolen

I should add that the machine starts fine now after the complete install and everything works fine..except for the Airport card which doesn't show up as existing in the machine. Cheers.
Musolen.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

you reinstalled the airport software?
QUOTE Thanks
musolen

I reinstalled the whole system. OSX 10.3 to 10.3.9. No repair software was repairing the problem and the only way I could rule out a software problem was to reinitialise and start again. I backed up and reinstalled and the only thing not working was the Airport. Then I replaced the card. Nothing changed. Brand new Airport card. New software installation. All the components seem to be reassembled okay. I'm out of ideas. Cheers for the reply.
Musolen
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

There is a driver for the airport card....im sure you can download it from the apple website. Thats the only thing i would know to try
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery cover scrached | trouble powering up »