New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MBP now or later

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kavinderd

I want to get a mbp, butI keep hearing the new line up will arrive in early sept to 16th sept. If the mac book pro gets a merom chip, will they also upgrade the graphics. And for an application like final cut , maya or after effects will a core 2duo be that much better than a core duo?
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Id probably wait...
QUOTE Thanks
Mundaine

Wait if you can, but it's all about buying the notebook when YOU need it. Not when the "next" one comes out. If you keep thinking with that idealogy, you will always be waiting. The technology market moves fast, and consumers can't hesitate.

I also wonder how much hotter the merom will get...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

They're supposed to require less power, so they might well be cooler.

I'd wait until the Macexpo (starts 12th of September) to see what is announced.
QUOTE Thanks
Mundaine

Definately! I'm tired of speculation...
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

not worth the wait IMO
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

I would wait.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavinderd
I want to get a mbp, but I keep hearing the new line up will arrive ....
To be honest, you are going to hear things like that no matter when you are thinking of buying a new Mac. :black:

Since an Expo is so near, it might be smarter to wait this time if you can. It is only a couple of weeks.

Any other time I would advise someone to get the Mac when they need it or when they want it and are able to afford it.

If you are one of those types who is into rumors and content to constantly wait, there are always going to be rumblings and rumors about what is supposedly coming out next. If you do wait and wait and wait, more often than not you are going to be disappointed as the vast majority of those rumors are unfounded and simply not true...

...and still won't have a Mac. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

In 2009 I heard they're coming out with a MacBookPro that will be able to transport you back and forth through time.

I'd wait for that one.

Point: There's always going to be something better around the corner. Just buy what you want and don't fall into buyer's remorse.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
In 2009 I heard they're coming out with a MacBookPro that will be able to transport you back and forth through time.

I'd wait for that one.

Point: There's always going to be something better around the corner. Just buy what you want and don't fall into buyer's remorse.
I am going to wait for this one:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
OneWorld22

OneWorld22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram

I am quite sure the new MBP will run the Core 2 Duo Centrino chip

So it will run a lot cooler then the regular Merom chip.
QUOTE Thanks
litespeed59

Personally, I opted to buy a Core Duo MacBook Pro now rather than be an early adopter when the Core2 MBPs come out. Basically, I did enough research to realize that being an early adopter isn't always a good thing.

I'm sure the Core2 MBPs will be better performers ... but at some point you have to stop waiting for the next best thing, and take the plunge.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I would wait at this point. Core 2 Duo we know is easily upgradeable and will most likely come soon. I dont believe in waiting forever but I think this is worth waiting for.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

Facts: Merom performs better while delivering better battery life. good engineering if you ask me. However, from what I understand its not a huge jump in performance.
QUOTE Thanks
Andrew F

Andrew F is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Future C2D MBP owner, hopefully

This is my first post. I have been reading a lot on the new Merom chip the last couple of weeks. Really, it should be out in the next two weeks. When is a pretty big debate and really no one knows. But, unless Apple wants to fall behind other manufatures, they will release it soon. And they won’t do that to themselves. Here is a link talking about the new processor. I have just recently acquired the funds to buy a new MBP and I was all ready to until I saw the rumors about the new C2D. I am going to get one as soon as they are released. There may also be a case redesign for the MBP. It should only be a few more weeks at most. Just wait and see. Unless you need it now, just wait.

Article
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good Price for iBook | auto log off?? »