New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ibook G3 300MHz 64MB RAM laptop tangerine powerful enough?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dragonfly

[FONT=Century Gothic] :confused:
Hello,
I have an iBook 300MHz 64MB RAM laptop tangerine for 4 years and am still very happy about it, well, almost. Since I installed the software for my digital camera, macOs 9 instead of 8.6 and photoshop, my computer is terribly slow or most likely freezing when i try to get rid of the red eyes on my pictures. (It seems there is still 2Go on the hardware though) :confused:
How much I like the iBook G4 800MHz 12', I cannot prevent myself from thinking that my computer is still enough for what I do... According to a friend, I could just add 128MB RAM (initial 32MB RAM + 128 = 160MB RAM in total) and my computer would be working allright again. Basically, I am using it to store and work on my digital pictures as well as regular text typing.
Therefore, I was wondering if anyone would know if an upgrade in RAM should be enough for what I do or is my computer too old really?
Thanks in advance for your opinions
QUOTE Thanks
kjellquist

well...RAM is cheap and it certainly wont hurt....it should help, but there's really only definitive way to find out. go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
[FONT=Century Gothic] :confused:
Hello,
I have an iBook 300MHz 64MB RAM laptop tangerine for 4 years and am still very happy about it, well, almost. Since I installed the software for my digital camera, macOs 9 instead of 8.6 and photoshop, my computer is terribly slow or most likely freezing when i try to get rid of the red eyes on my pictures. (It seems there is still 2Go on the hardware though) :confused:
How much I like the iBook G4 800MHz 12', I cannot prevent myself from thinking that my computer is still enough for what I do... According to a friend, I could just add 128MB RAM (initial 32MB RAM + 128 = 160MB RAM in total) and my computer would be working allright again. Basically, I am using it to store and work on my digital pictures as well as regular text typing.
Therefore, I was wondering if anyone would know if an upgrade in RAM should be enough for what I do or is my computer too old really?
Thanks in advance for your opinions
Go buy a 512 meg card and put it in! Install Panther!

I have a Graphite SE Clamshell 366mhz and when I got it it had a 128meg card in it. I found that OSX Jaguar was a bit sluggish but seemed to work pretty good. I installed the 512 and it runs much better. I have been running the ram for a couple months now without any problems at all. I bought a new digital camera before xmas and had trouble installing the software that came with it. It was supposed to work through 9.2 which is still inbstalled but refused to install and work. In the end I scrapped what they said started iPhoto in Jaguar and it saw the camera right off. Not too bad working on 4 mega pixel pictures.

Larry
QUOTE Thanks
Dragonfly

Thanks guys for your answers. I decided to give it a go and upgrade my RAM memory but since my iBook is from the first generation, I need to update it with firmware 2.4. To good to be true, it just didn't work. The computer freezes when I try to install it. I can't prevent myself from thinking I may be better off selling it and buy the last iBook 12.1', things would be easier...
Have a nice day x :cool:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3 Password Security | Can I disable the alternate fuction keys? »