New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Will custom upgrades void my warranty?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robbym

robbym is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a macbook or macbook pro and want to max out specs but think Apple is nuts to charge what they do for memory and HDD's. Can I install my own PC-5300 and 2.5" HDD or will this void my warranty. How much of a cash grab is this? Your answers are appreciated and will affect my decision.

Cheers,
robbym
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can upgrade the HD and Memory in the MB's without voiding the warranty, you can only upgrade the Memory in the MBP's

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
built b16a

built b16a is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.

just for more clarification..

macbook's, you can upgrade your HD's, and ram memory without voiding warranty, however.. only the ram itself in macbook pro's?

thats weird.. why one, and not the other?

anyways, i have a new 13.3 80GB macbook, and i run photoshop and its been noticeably slowing down. i plan to max out my macbook with 2GB, but im looking into aftermarket ram, and just wondering what will happen to my warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

ChaePod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by built b16a View Post
thats weird.. why one, and not the other?
It's because it's much easier to upgrade the HD in a MacBook than it is in a MacBook Pro. So there is a higher chance that some poeple might damage something while trying to replace the hard drive in the MacBook Pros
QUOTE Thanks
built b16a

built b16a is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.

i see..

i just did a quick search on google for a tutrial on how to swap ram on a macbook, and found a youtube video from "macworld" on how to.. man, thats easy. 2 screws.. and the HD is right next to it. i might have to consider upin my HD space too.

80 GB's is filling up quick quickly. i think 150ish.. 200 would be awesome.. i just with apples upgrade prices when purchasing weren't so high.
QUOTE Thanks
ange.seth

ange.seth is on a distinguished road

The Macbook is extremely easy to upgrade the RAM in it. I'm such an amateur in the whole computer upgrading scenario and I was easily able to do it The only problem I had was that for the first few times I tried it, it wasn't reading my RAM but it was only because I didn't push it in hard enough, you actually have to push the RAM quite strongly for it to sit in its place
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« broken logic board (i think) | Magsafe Charges for 5 minutes or so and stops... »