New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Humming Headphone Jack (Please Help)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gadgetron

Good Morning,
Last week I picked up a 2.0ghz black Macbook (with apple installed 1gig memory 512 x2) at the apple store.
So after less than a week I have a problem. Today I started up the macbook, after checking my email and doing a few more things, I decided to listen to some music.
I plugged my headphones into the jack on the Macbook and to my suprise there is an audible "humming" coming through my headphones.
I took the headphones out and plugged them into my ipod (no humming in the headphones).
So my question is, is my macbook busted? is this a known issue?
This is the first time its happened in the 6 days! I have had this Macbook.
Any suggestions? or shoudl I just go to the store tonight, and have it sent out for repair...sigh.
Thank you for your time.
~/.Chris
QUOTE Thanks
ripfrankwhite

ripfrankwhite will become famous soon enough

They all do that. So do desktops and other laptops. Unless you have a very high end sound card, it won't be totally black.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I don't have that in my powerbook.. or in any of my other computers... it could be a short in your laptops head phone jack.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
nickster9224

nickster9224 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor

take it to your apple store
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetron
I plugged my headphones into the jack on the Macbook and to my suprise there is an audible "humming" coming through my headphones.
Don't put up with it.....it's a stereo output jack and should be no different from the one on your iPod.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Make sure you haven't switched some setting in the audio/midi setup. (Applicatios->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup)

I just listened with my extremely sensitive Shure headphones and my macbook is silent. It is affected by plugging in firewire devices though.

But if it persists, take it in.
QUOTE Thanks
pachieh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Make sure you haven't switched some setting in the audio/midi setup. (Applicatios->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup)

I just listened with my extremely sensitive Shure headphones and my macbook is silent. It is affected by plugging in firewire devices though.

But if it persists, take it in.

I am also having the same problem. I'm using Shure e4c headphones on my Macbook. One thing I noticed though was that when I touch the laptop anywhere next to the trackpad, the sound goes away. It is like the actual laptop chassis is vibrating and sending the feedback through the headphone port. It is very odd. When I touch the laptop and drag my finger, it feels kind of funny like the surface isn't exactly smooth. It is hard to explain.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Awful Applecare | Many Questions about Extra Monitors »