New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - question about ibooks 500mhz and such....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tgg

tgg is on a distinguished road

Prety soon I'll be buying a ibook but wanted to know are the atleast 500mhz ibooks still good functional computers? I am a windows user I have a gaming pc I play games and such, but I want a mac to learn the OS because I have my own local onsite computer tech bussiness and I get calls wanting to know if i know macs.

Can someone give me some advice and such thax....
QUOTE Thanks
taylorwilsdon

taylorwilsdon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM

500hmz iBook? Thats going to be like a G3 clamshell notebook; barely functional. You should really consider a desktop Mac because it'll be much cheaper and still run the latest programs.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon
500hmz iBook? Thats going to be like a G3 clamshell notebook; barely functional. You should really consider a desktop Mac because it'll be much cheaper and still run the latest programs.
Actually the clamshells stopped at 466Mhz.
This would be the IceBook line, the first all white iBooks. There is no reason why it wouldn't run the latest OS, 10.4.x Tiger.
It would be quite functional and a great system for getting your feet wet with OS X and not dropping a ton of cash.
I would only suggest packing it with RAM, as much as you can. Outside of that there is no reason why it would be a poor choice or something to steer clear of.
Good luck with your purchase!
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

I have a 500MHZ G3 iBook. I use it to learn Mac OSX, and it actually works pretty well. If you want a cheap mac laptop to learn OSX on, get a G3.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

G3's are still plenty usable. I believe the base, base 500 mhz models came with 96 mb of ram, and you could stuff a 512 in there. I had a 700 mhz icebook for a while, and it was just fine for email and iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about wireless networking | ibook g4 battery recal »