devoichitsa
    Hard drive has 'fixed' itself... really?
    My iBook (G3, just over four years old) suddenly started making clanking and clicking noises, and 'hanging' while this was going on. It would do this for short periods, then longer periods, then finally it would turn itself off. I took it to a Genius Bar, where they said it was the hard drive dying. That evening it totally failed to reboot.

However, the next morning it booted fine. For the next day or so I got occasional clunking and clicking, but it seemed to work well for longer and longer periods. Now it's as if nothing ever happened.

Can anyone suggest an explanation?

Should I assume that the hard drive (assuming that's where the problem was) is on its way out, or might it really have fixed itself?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would strongly suggest now's the time to start backing up all your data "just in case..."

devoichitsa
    backed up
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse-8
    I would strongly suggest now's the time to start backing up all your data "just in case..."
    I've done that - finally got the external hard drive I've been meaning to get for months.... now working off that!

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
    When a hard drive starts dying, it can be a long drawn out process of inspiring false-hopes at times. Back up your data and get the new drive now.

Quote Originally Posted by devoichitsa
    I've done that - finally got the external hard drive I've been meaning to get for months.... now working off that!
    Glad to hear that...first chance I get it's off to buy that external HD myself....just havin' a cash flow problem at present...

Thread Information