New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MBP lost or stolen via DHL!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Well, I shipped in my MBP last Friday to Apple to get the logic board replaced along with a few other things dealt with (the top of the speaker gives a bit and creaks when you press on it lightly, wifi "forgetting" settings while other computers work fine with my new Belkin router, failing to wake up from sleep quite a few times lately).

Checked the Repair status on Apple's site on Tuesday, since they should have gotten the laptop on Monday per DHL's site- showed Repair Pending. I thought that "Repair Pending" meant that they were working on it. Yesterday, I checked again and read carefully when Repair Pending meant and realized that it meant that they hadn't got the laptop yet. Emailed Apple to ask them if their website was wrong or had they really not gotten it yet.

Called DHL and they showed the laptop getting to their Texas depot on Monday morning- no record of it after that. Promised a call back within 6 hours- no call. Called again this morning, no news- promised a call back within 2 hours- no call. Called Apple on my way home from work- apparently they had taken my email and already assigned an internal person to investigate the issue with DHL. Unfortunately, the investigative/claim process takes 5 business days. They will replace my MBP if DHL can't find it.

So my questions are:
-Should I make a stink about it taking so long, seeing as how it's not Apple's fault?
-Is their a DHL racket going on at the Texas depot? I found it curious that the box Apple shipped me did not mention Apple's name on it anywhere, not even on the shipping label, just ACI. My guess is either it's misplaced or a DHL employee or two knows what ACI is and couldn't resist stealing my $2000 laptop.

Look forward to the responses.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueBacchus

BlueBacchus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD

Sue DHL!

My Avatar says it all.
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

wait a little.....give them 2-3 days, then call apple FIRST, so that you know for SURE that it's DHL's fault, then raise **** at DHL.

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

Update...DHL finally called me, but has no news so far. They're "working with" Apple to resolve it. I emailed Apple asking them to just replace it and then work it out with DHL since I need the MBP badly in the near future for some work projects, but they refused.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

Update- Apple finally finished their investigation with DHL and is shipping out a replacement tomorrow. Finally.
QUOTE Thanks
mblphnlvr

mblphnlvr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd

Well, at least you got a brand new unit out of this. And you will have two power supplies also.
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBacchus
Sue DHL!
**** YEAH! and over macbook pro stress mania!

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by karudzo
Update- Apple finally finished their investigation with DHL and is shipping out a replacement tomorrow. Finally.
YAY! enjoy! still i think you should sue them...for stress (it's legal)

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks
slyseeker

slyseeker has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB

If there was any valuable work or information on your original MBP, open up legal action against DHL. Stolen intellectual property and identity theft are major!
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

I'm not the "suing" type- I would only do that in very drastic circumstances. Being the semi-paranoid person that I am, I backed up important data and wiped anything that needed to be.

Checked Fedex and it looks like my MBP will be delivered at 10:30am approx. tomorrow- yeah!

At least I'm getting a new unit and will have 2 remotes, 2 sets of software and 2 power supplies- so I guess that's a good thing!

Thanks for the advice though, guys.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

Got my new MBP and it seems more "solid" if that makes since. No whining, no flex on the right speaker grill area, hinges seem to be less flexible, etc... Very pleased.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Ya, I'd say that's one situation where getting your laptop stolen is actually a *good* thing. And I commend Apple for their no-nonsense action. They investigated, they communicated with you, and they sent you a replacement no questions asked.

Smart move to erase your data before sending in for a repair, btw. I do full reformats before giving Apple any computers to work on. You never know what the techs might decide to do, or in your case, who might intercept the computer!

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by karudzo
Being the semi-paranoid person that I am, I backed up important data and wiped anything that needed to be.
In this case, not so much a "semi-paranoid person", but a clued-up person as you had a contingency plan.

Enjoy your new MBP!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« fans | Will this memory work in a MacBook? »