Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery recall

Question battery recall
    Ok, I just heard on the news that the ibook batteries are being recalled. So, how do I know if I have one? I have an ibook.

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Thanks for the link. It seems that I do have one of the recalled batteries. But when I put in the serial number it says it's invalid. It gives a serial range of 3k429-3k611 and mine is 3k528. So, I guess I'll have to phone them tomorrow and see what's up with that.
    Anyone have a battery on the recall list? If so, did you just take the battery out and use the power plug in?
    If I do that, is it ok to leave that space open? I'm afraid dust and stuff will get in there.

Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin01
    Thanks for the link. It seems that I do have one of the recalled batteries. But when I put in the serial number it says it's invalid. It gives a serial range of 3k429-3k611 and mine is 3k528. So, I guess I'll have to phone them tomorrow and see what's up with that.
    Anyone have a battery on the recall list?
    I had the same problem, it said my computer was eligible but my battery serial was invalid. Let me know what you find out if you call them.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
    I had the same problem, it said my computer was eligible but my battery serial was invalid. Let me know what you find out if you call them.
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I'm calling tomorrow morning - so I'll let you know what they say.
    Are you leaving your battery in?

Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin01
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I'm calling tomorrow morning - so I'll let you know what they say.
    Are you leaving your battery in?
    Yea, I won't take it out unless I have a problem.

Specs:
    12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
    I have the same problem... It says my computer is eligible but not the battery.

Should I just make a visit to an Apple Store?

Specs:
    iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
    My computer is a PowerBook, not an iBook, but I have the same problem with the "valid serial, invalid battery". I thought it was an error on my part, and nobody in the PowerBook forum has mentioned anything. I'm glad I came into this forum to find out I wasn't alone.

I called Apple Customer Service today and selected the Battery Recall hotline. An automated message directed me to the website, and then told me all technical service calls would be online-chat only as of Aug. 1, 2006. My call was then disconnected... :mad:

Specs:
    MacBook
    You probably have already checked, but just to be clear, its more than just the serial number. You have to make sure that your battery model number matches as well. That might be why your serials are not being accepted. If the model number doesn't match, then you won't need one.
    Still, it could just be a fluke with the system and it would be best to double check with Apple if both your battery's model number AND serial number fall under the guidelines.
    I was able to do mine without a hitch.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

My model number does match. But, when exactly did you guys buys yours? I just found my receipt and I bought mine on July of 2005. I did a google search on these recalled batteries and the dates they show the recall is, October 2004 thru May 2005. So, I wonder if that is why it's invalid?? Even tho the numbers do match

Specs:
    12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    You probably have already checked, but just to be clear, its more than just the serial number. You have to make sure that your battery model number matches as well. That might be why your serials are not being accepted. If the model number doesn't match, then you won't need one.
    Still, it could just be a fluke with the system and it would be best to double check with Apple if both your battery's model number AND serial number fall under the guidelines.
    I was able to do mine without a hitch.
    I checked on the webpage and my battery belongs to the model (A1061) and has a serial number that also fits in the range as listed on the website. But, I still got a eligible computer and NOT eligible battery.

I call the Authorised repairer in HK and they say as long as your battery fits the criteria set out on the webpage they can organise a replacement battery for you.

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
    Wow, I'm somewhat relieved that you guys are having trouble with the website too. My battery's serial number is definitely within the range they listed, but when I enter the number it says it's invalid.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Mine iBook Battery is in that range of Serial Numbers. I will try it and get back to you if it works or not. The Model and serial fit. Thanks DB for that info.

Edit: I just put my iBook though and both the iBook and Battery were approved. To the people who are having issues, are you putting in the FULL serial number or the battery and not just the first digits like on that recall page?

Specs:
    iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
    I just tried again, and now it works!
    It accepted both my PowerBook's serial number and my battery's serial number. I guess Apple fixed their website...

Apple will be shipping a new battery shortly.

catchawave
    mine worked too this morning! I'm going to keep the battery in the ibook and using it, I hope I don't wreck it.

Thread Information