New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - electric shock?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bonzaisushi

Bonzaisushi is on a distinguished road

I searched and searched and came up with nothing. but i was wondering if anyone gets shocked by there Mac, because for the past 2 weeks it has been shocking me where my forearms are on the edge. i dont know why this would have started all the sudden, and its by no means a large shock but its enough to annoy.

:yinyang:
Mac Book Pro 17" 2 Gig Ram, 120 gig

Canon 1dMarkII // Canon 20D// Some Lenses
Bonzai Photography!Click me!
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

same for me....but only sometimes....and only when plugged in. I have no idea, but I dont notice it all the time. Your right...it is annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
Mundaine

problem after problem after problem! make sure you ground yourself before using your mbp!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

So long as it only happens when you first sit down, it's probably just a static charge that you've built up. I get the same thing at my PowerBook every winter. Not to mention whenever I get out of my car.

Now, if your fingers get all tingly when you touch the case (and it's not, well, excitement at having such a pretty computer or something) then you should be concerned.
QUOTE Thanks
laninuna

Hello,

The problem appears only when the AC plug is not grounded. Whenever I use the plug that has the grounding I do not feel that electricity.

Hope this helps...
QUOTE Thanks
splatbucket

splatbucket is on a distinguished road

i havent been shocked by my mpb but.. then the power cable is plugged in the case kinda feels different, i guess its to do with the magsafe plug, and it doesnt really bother me that much, but intregued if anyone else has felt this
QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

Yeah I get this. Feels sorta different. Apple discussions say its caused by a minute current running thru the outer casing when plugged in. Officially they say its nothing to be concerned about.

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hey. | just got a powerbook »