New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - MacBook Memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

I am going to purchse some memory for my MacBook, most likely 2gb, and i was wondering if the 667 was all that much faster than the 553?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
fluxy

I just got 2GB's of this memory for a killer deal!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220078
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

i just ordered this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141067 from newegg.com. i got it cause its pc2 5400 as opposed to 5300 and it was only a $1 more for the step up in speed, which i kno it wasnt that much but id rather get something faster rather than slower!
QUOTE Thanks
Abira_Kam

guys... I wanna add 1 gig for my Macbook... and..the quest is what would be better 1 gig or 2 x 512 mb???
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

if u plan on ever upgrading anymore than that, go with the 1 gig, but if ur just gonna stick with 1gb, go with the 2 512mb. Apple says that inorder to get top performance from the memory u should fill both slots with the same memory size. whether theres a performance drop when using just one, im not sure, but i kno theres a boost with two of the same. so i guess after all that crap, id go with the two 512s. its cheaper and from what ive heard thats plenty of memory for most. i, on the other hand, want to max out my macbook cause this is my last laptop for a long time. i havent even gone to college yet and this will most likely be the computer ill be taking with me and using everyday for the next 6-12yrs!
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

oh yea, does ne one kno if its bad that i purchased pc2-5400 ram instead of pc2-5300? i noticed that the standard ram is pc2-5300. am i going to have problems or potentially damage my macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Running PC2-5400 wont damage your MacBook as the MacBook can only run at PC-5300 speeds so far. Getting faster RAM than the system can handle could possibly be a bonus too as the system my be able to handle the slight increase and stop bottlenecking on data transfer. I run my desktop PC with faster ram then the sytem can handle and thats been fine for years.

If there is ever a firmware update to allow you to take advantage of such RAM then your already set but this also depends on a few other factors like the chipset of the overall system.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help me replace my hard drive :D | What is a good HDD for the macbook? »