New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Should I or shouldn't I?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Seba-Argentina

Hello all who read this...

I've been wanting to buy the white MacBook for the longest time, and I've been researching a whole lot and reading multiple reviews, not only written by computer magazines and the like, but also from individual owners of the MacBook.

They have been overall good reviews, giving high recognition and praise to MacBook...

However, recently I've read some reviews concerning sudden shut-offs, screen problems, etc...

I'm wondering if it's kind of like the MacBook Pro, where Apple came out with it very recently, and now some of the batteries are being recalled...

Are these just horror stories? Is the MacBook really worth it?

Any feedback will be appreciated! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
sjtaylor84

sjtaylor84 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"

My girlfriend bought one within about a week of it's release. We did have some pretty serious heat issues but that's now been fixed with a new logic board plus the new SMC update. That little headache aside, it's a fantastic machine, the heat has been the only problem really.

I think the heat was the most common issue with the Macbook in general and that's now been rectified I believe, I think the rest are just horror stories.
QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba-Argentina
Hello all who read this...

I've been wanting to buy the white MacBook for the longest time, and I've been researching a whole lot and reading multiple reviews, not only written by computer magazines and the like, but also from individual owners of the MacBook.

They have been overall good reviews, giving high recognition and praise to MacBook...

However, recently I've read some reviews concerning sudden shut-offs, screen problems, etc...

I'm wondering if it's kind of like the MacBook Pro, where Apple came out with it very recently, and now some of the batteries are being recalled...

Are these just horror stories? Is the MacBook really worth it?

Any feedback will be appreciated! :-)

I have the Blackbook and I love it. I had problems with it shutting off randomly, but Apple replaced the logic board b/c it was still under warranty. They just recently updated the firmware for the fans so it runs much cooler than before. I'm not sure what screen problems there are, but I've never had one.
QUOTE Thanks
Seba-Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtaylor84
My girlfriend bought one within about a week of it's release. We did have some pretty serious heat issues but that's now been fixed with a new logic board plus the new SMC update. That little headache aside, it's a fantastic machine, the heat has been the only problem really.

I think the heat was the most common issue with the Macbook in general and that's now been rectified I believe, I think the rest are just horror stories.
Thank you so much for your help!!
QUOTE Thanks
Seba-Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasheezy
I have the Blackbook and I love it. I had problems with it shutting off randomly, but Apple replaced the logic board b/c it was still under warranty. They just recently updated the firmware for the fans so it runs much cooler than before. I'm not sure what screen problems there are, but I've never had one.
Thanks so much for the feedback!! So when Apple replaced the logic board, was this covered under your standard one year warranty?
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

^The answer to your question is "yes."
QUOTE Thanks
Smaggie

Smaggie is on a distinguished road

Go buy one ! There's not a better laptop for portable use out there, unless you want a Windows machine (not likely!)
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

My friend just bought a new Macbook (2.0ghz 1GB RAM) and I was using it pretty heavily yesterday (garageband, dling, adium). It ran like a dream and did not even really get that hot.

I would definately go for a MacBook but get the Applecare just incase. If you live by an Apple store then ProCare is priceless.

best of luck

QUOTE Thanks
nickster9224

nickster9224 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor

You should get it. I've had mine for about 7 weeks. No problems here. The ones you buy should not have any bugs but i would reccomend applecare=3years of warranty happiness
QUOTE Thanks
Techno Mutant

Techno Mutant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 macbook

If I remember correctly the batteries that were being recalled were of g4's the older models all have been replaced by newer models. The heat is really not a issue. the new update that came out for the macbooks fixed that issue. (runs fan always at low speed. cant hear it unless your sleeping on the keyboard)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive has 'fixed' itself... really? | Connecting to internet wirelessly (bluetooth, wireless router?) »