New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - The InvisiShield or Replacement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

devast8or

devast8or is on a distinguished road

Okay heres a question I hear mac is replacing the tops of laptops where the staining is happening now i have a black macbook so mine just shows like finger imprints but i would not like it to do that at all or scratch so should i invest in a invisishield or march down to the apple store and have them replace the top...or both

what is your take on the matter :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
Roo

Roo will become famous soon enough

I'm assuming you'd have to pay a pretty hefty amount of money for them to replace the top, so I'd just go with the shielding.
QUOTE Thanks
macadam

macadam is on a distinguished road

can you fx. wipe the fingerimprints off With a damp cloth, or are the genuine discolorations??

I hardly believe that you can get anything black without fingerimprints showing up to some degree. Even when/if you apply the invisible shield. I have applied the full body shield to my new macbook and it looks very promising. Pretty 'hard' to put on though - especially the big single piece for the top/lid.

Mac Specs: MacBook 13.3" :: 2.0GHz White :: 2 GB RAM :: 100GB - 7.200 HDD :: full invisible shield :: wireless mighty mouse :: wireless mac-keyboard :: white Logitech usb-keyboard and lasermouse (S530 for MAC) :: Airport Extreme base station
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

i got a white one a couple of days ago (even more seceptible to the staining) and i too had considered the ivis sheild but i thought 55 bucks was a little much to pay. so i bought the marware protection pack when i was at the apple store getting my macbook replaced. i put it on, was careful and patient and it cam out looking great. its not clear, it matches the color of the macbook(not perfectly but it looks like it belongs) and it provides a little cushioning for the wrists. also has a keyboard cover that works well as a screen wipe and exterior wipe.overall, for 20 bucks, its well worth it! especially if u dont have to send in your macbook for a week and a half!
QUOTE Thanks
ripfrankwhite

ripfrankwhite will become famous soon enough

Depending on the condition of the MB, I doubt that they will replace the top for the black one, but who knows. I will recommend the Invisible Shield, it is great. I have the full body shield and it is fantastic. It looks great too!
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

My friend called AppleCare and was informed that if (according to Apple) there is no problem with the computer (software or hardwar), they will charge you $100. He was calling about kernel panics, but I assume this would be the same situation. Being a black laptop, you will get shiny spots on the most common areas, the trackpad and buttons like the space bar and delete key. If a small cloth takes it off, keep a small cloth with you.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
devast8or

ya thats what i decided to do i just keep a lint free cloth with me and just damp it a bit with some water and i use a alcohole wipe on the track pad and that seems to be working just fine. My thing is i didnt want to invest in the invisishield and then find out that it some how voids the warrenty of the machine; does any one know if you think it will, or leave a residue or anything like that, and is the marware one just as good or not as good? :doctor:
QUOTE Thanks
macadam

macadam is on a distinguished road

you can remove the shield without leaving a single spot. No warranty probs as I can see it

Mac Specs: MacBook 13.3" :: 2.0GHz White :: 2 GB RAM :: 100GB - 7.200 HDD :: full invisible shield :: wireless mighty mouse :: wireless mac-keyboard :: white Logitech usb-keyboard and lasermouse (S530 for MAC) :: Airport Extreme base station
QUOTE Thanks
Aslain

Aslain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB

The Blackbooks aren't known to have problems with discoloration that necessitates changing the top plastic. Because of the nature of the color/style, fingerprints and oily spots show up more easily on it; it's not a defect. Get the InvisibleShield.
QUOTE Thanks
devast8or

I think im gonna do a little combo of marware with and invisishield top good safe combo
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

sweet! it feels good to have someone take a bit of my advice. good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
Depending on the condition of the MB, I doubt that they will replace the top for the black one, but who knows. I will recommend the Invisible Shield, it is great. I have the full body shield and it is fantastic. It looks great too!

had i known better, i would have had an invisishield shipped to me the day i bought the MacBook...
but i didn't. so hear we are. its a laptop. i guess its going to get a little beat up anyway.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory Match Really Necessary? | Advice Needed - Should I sell PowerBooks for MBP »