New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Specifications Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Questa4

I'm a prospective MacBook buyer, and I was always wondering, why are the Mac Book specifications greatly lower than a Windows Laptop around the same price?

eg: I can get 60gb hard drive and 512 ram on the MacBook, but compared to a Windows Laptop (around the same price), I can get 120gb hard drive, with 1gb ram.

Is there some underlying advantage or something?

Thanks for any help in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Two completely different operating systems.
Windows specs do not need to equate to Mac specs and vice versa.

It would appear that you are falling prey to the same thing that many potential and even new Mac users do. You are thinking Windows and looking at a Mac. Perhaps if you were looking to buy a notebook computer that was designed for Windows and had the specs of a MacBook it would be a bit under par. But, this isn't Windows so there is no need to think like it is. :black:

It is really that simple.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Questa4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Two completely different operating systems.
Windows specs do not need to equate to Mac specs and vice versa.

It would appear that you are falling prey to the same thing that many potential and even new Mac users do. You are thinking Windows and looking at a Mac. Perhaps if you were looking to buy a notebook computer that was designed for Windows and had the specs of a MacBook it would be a bit under par. But, this isn't Windows so there is no need to think like it is. :black:

It is really that simple.
So basically because Mac's just need less with their OS and their programs?
QUOTE Thanks
lionel

lionel will become famous soon enough

It's less demanding than windows.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I don't agree. I don't think that Mac OS X is less demanding than XP; if anything, it needs more memory and a better graphics chip to perform at the same level.

A MacBook is more expensive than a Dell or HP notebook with the same specs because Apple thinks it has "added value." Mac OS X, the iLife applications, the iSight camera, and the remote control aren't typical PC features.

Mac OS X is, in my opinion, a more reliable and powerful OS than WinXP, and I feel that alone justifies the cost of the hardware to run it. Some people get a kick out of iLife, or the way it looks on their desks. Others look at the specs and ignore the intangibles. Each person should based on whatever you feel is important in a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

The Mac specs are going to be lower than that of any PC stylee laptop/desktop machine. Apple probably dont have business partners like AMD or NVidia etc etc to use their products in an Apple machine. Before Mac started going Intel, how could you compare the hardware. I believe that Apple made a good choice about sticking with components they know to give the end user the best performance for their OS. You can't really say that about M$

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

You are paying for the neat design and some of the fairly nice bundled software. It is kind of hard to make a direct comparison because there is so much more to a system than just screen size, CPU, RAM and hard drive capacity.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
I don't agree. I don't think that Mac OS X is less demanding than XP; if anything, it needs more memory and a better graphics chip to perform at the same level.

A MacBook is more expensive than a Dell or HP notebook with the same specs because Apple thinks it has "added value." Mac OS X, the iLife applications, the iSight camera, and the remote control aren't typical PC features.

Mac OS X is, in my opinion, a more reliable and powerful OS than WinXP, and I feel that alone justifies the cost of the hardware to run it. Some people get a kick out of iLife, or the way it looks on their desks. Others look at the specs and ignore the intangibles. Each person should based on whatever you feel is important in a PC.
I agree 100% with you on this one. Mac OS X has a need for alot of resources, and sometimes 512mb of ram just does not cut it. I think that is the reason they changed the amount of standard ram in the mac pro to 1gb. It is also more graphics intensive with things like core image, and soon to be core animation.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
macadam

macadam is on a distinguished road

Youll easily find other highbrand laptops at compareable prices. Try looking at sony fx. You pay for the design and that special umpf. That extra care for the details - that feeling of having a non-standard thing. I havent had a laptop before which i several times a day pad or stroke with a smile like i do with my new milkybox.

The amount of ram in the different macbooks is also a consequence of apple trying to have a broad productline. Just enjoy the benefits of moving to an platform where you can take advantage of the availability of much cheaper std.products like ramblox fx

Mac Specs: MacBook 13.3" :: 2.0GHz White :: 2 GB RAM :: 100GB - 7.200 HDD :: full invisible shield :: wireless mighty mouse :: wireless mac-keyboard :: white Logitech usb-keyboard and lasermouse (S530 for MAC) :: Airport Extreme base station
QUOTE Thanks
campayne

campayne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod

macs are 18921340986315xtimes better than any pc

QUOTE Thanks
devast8or

devast8or is on a distinguished road

I was in the same boat trying to decide wether on going with a MacBook or A pclaptop and to be honest in someways the macbook was a bit more appealing i have worked on PCs most of my life and get angry when it takes for ever for an application to load or when i get some f**king virus cause i was at a coffee shop with a open server. i personaly feel there are down falls to both pc and mac laptops. PC laptops are a little cheaper but arnt as strong, more prone to viruses, memory gets drained when running more than one program, and dont have 64 bit opperating systems "yet". Mac laptops are less prone to viruses, so far have had great customer service experience, have a stong OS but there plastics are made of cheap quality and i dont feel they test there computers as much as a pc company. You just have to way what you are going to use it for if your more of a gamer get a PC in my personal opinon if your more into design or photography go with a mac, i bought mine not to play around on i bought it strickly for school, deisgning and photography. :yinyang: just way on what you mostly would us it for.
QUOTE Thanks
lionel

Actually no, i tried finding another notebook on a website which i won't name, but they have ALOT of notebooks.

I couldn't find a single one with a 2Ghz T2500 processor for less then 1000..

Though that is just CPU.

Here's something... Done basing it off a 1.83Ghz T2400

HP
Bluetooth, wifi
1.83Ghz core duo
CDRW/DVD ROM
512 DDR2 RAM
60GB HDD
x1300 128MB GPU

Which costs about 175~ more than the comparable (apart from GPU) base Macbook

Also there's

Toshiba
Wifi
1.83Ghz Core duo
DVD+/-RW
512 DDR2 RAM 533Mhz
60GB HDD
GMA 950 128 shared GPU

Which costs 150 *more* then the baseline Macbook...

Edit: So from what i can see the Macbook is actually cheaper then "comparable" notebooks.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questa4
I'm a prospective MacBook buyer, and I was always wondering, why are the Mac Book specifications greatly lower than a Windows Laptop around the same price?

eg: I can get 60gb hard drive and 512 ram on the MacBook, but compared to a Windows Laptop (around the same price), I can get 120gb hard drive, with 1gb ram.

Is there some underlying advantage or something?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hard Disk sizes and ram may be higher in the PC Laptop but comparing Mac/PC specs is like comparing apples and oranges.

Compare MacBook/Similar Windows LapTop
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

To me, it was not only important what went inside the computer, but also the case design and sturdiness. After playing around at Comp USA with HPs and Toshibas, then feeling the Macbook (or iBook, at that time) I was astounded with the quality. You want your laptop to last, don't you ?

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
lionel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
To me, it was not only important what went inside the computer, but also the case design and sturdiness. After playing around at Comp USA with HPs and Toshibas, then feeling the Macbook (or iBook, at that time) I was astounded with the quality. You want your laptop to last, don't you ?
Yup! Plus since your always looking at it why wouldn't you want such an attractive piece of engineering!? :3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will the MacBook heat affect overall longevity? | Bizzare Keyboard Problem »