New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Compatible RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jose_v

I heard a rumor from a friend of mine that I need to buy my memory specifically from Apple because others are incompatible, yet I hear from others that as long as the speed and other specs are the same it should work. So, leave it to the lovely people on this forum to help me out of it, any help?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Your friend is wrong.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Yes your friend is very wrong. I bought my MPB becuase I plan to install 3rd party ram later on in the year to max it out becuase simply it'll be much cheaper than if I had Apple install it.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

unless you have much more money than sense....dont buy RAM from Apple. However...with a killer machine like the MPB, you dont want to go on the cheap either. Go with a good brand like Crucial. Great memory, Great prices.
QUOTE Thanks
jose_v

Just checked out the prices for Crucial and they do get solid feedback but I'm a student at a college that gouges the kids out by the tuition. Any solid but perhaps slightly cheaper suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
randomfactor

randomfactor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet

I second Crucial the RAM is very good and there customer service is excellent too especially in the UK.

there is a Corsair RAM which is good but there have been some compatibility issues with the MBP so that why I went for Crucial.
If your looking for cheaper alternatives try looking at newegg.com that's if you live in the USA as I've heard could things about the site and the prices are good as well.

Man Fears Time but Time Fears the Pyramids
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I have had issues with Corsair, A-DATA, and Muskin brand RAM in my Mac Book Pro. I finally bought some Transcend that worked. They are a little picky, but you don't need to buy from Apple.

Check newegg for Transcend brand, I have heard good things about Crucial, but it is more expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

try otherworldcomputing. I havent had first hand experience with them, but I know a few poeple who love them.
QUOTE Thanks
CShannon

CShannon is an unknown at this point

My MBP came with 1 GB and I installed a $70 Transcend 1 GB memory module from NewEgg.com.

The price of the Crucial brand is about twice the price with no gain in performance or realiability.

I have built over 50 PC compatible machines and have used various brands of memory. Very few brands are actually "bad." If you do some research you'll find there are only a few manufacturers of the chips themselves and the rest of the companies simply package them. Many companies are just marketing entities that rebrand the memory and sell it under their own name with the usual marketing hype about how good their brand is.

The one exception is high performance ram that you intend to overclock. In this case you do have to be selective and be prepared to pay extra for its ability to handle the extra speed. Low latency ram will also cost a premium.

But the Mac Books just use a vanila memory module that is available from a more than a dozen companies, any one of which can provide the right module.

Transcend is a good as any, and you will find several comments at NewEgg.com about people who use this memory in Mac Books.

You can get a faulty module from any memory maker including Crucial. Just be sure to install and use it when it arrives and exchange it if your Mac begins to lock up.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

$70 for a Gig? thats a fantastic price!
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

i got g-skill from newegg for $80 a gig . I have 1 gig of it installed in addition to the standard 512 apple provided RAM. Works great, and rember couldn't find anything wrong with it after I ran it overnight.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231066

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels trouble with outlook | Un-underclocking the ATI card »