Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whoriental
    Speeding up my Mac
    I have a 12' powerbook that I have had for about a year and a half. It has 1.25 gigs of ram. For some reason lately it has been running super slow. I only have about 16 gigs left of disk space. Does that have anything to do with it?

What would be the best way to clean it up a little, just to make it run faster? Would a fresh install of the OS help?

Please let me know, thanks in advance.

whoriental
    Also, are there maybe any programs that would either streamline activities or help me clean stuff up?

todd51
    Good question, I too would like to know this for the future of my Mac's life, even though mine is brand new right now. I want to keep it as free as possible from cluttered up files.

Specs:
    17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
    same here

Specs:
    2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
    in short, NO. Hard disk space, (or lack thereof), has nothing to do with computer performance. More than likely a program you are using (or dont know is running), is sucking up your RAM. Use activity moniter (Applications->Utilities), and check it out. Use your computer as you normally would for a few hours, then open activity monitor and see how much RAM each program is using. Anything that you dont recognize, that is using over 100MB is suspect.

Specs:
    As for programs that will help you clean up your files, try a program called Cocktail.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    That is not entirely correct, the amount of hard drive space that is left on your hard drive can shorten its life, and performance because the hard drive has to work harder to find the information that you are asking it to. However if you have 16gb left, it is very unlikely that is causing your problem.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

whoriental
    well.......
    What is the problem then. I use the same programs I did, its just going super slow. I just want to figure out of there is anything I could clean up to make it run faster, or any program to streamline it.

The other day, my mac froze, that freak me the f*** out. That has never happened before.

Specs:
    Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
    Reset your PRAM and repair disk permissions.

it's the answer to everything.
    She doesn't get enough cocaine
    She doesn't get enough hard
    She doesn't get enough pure
    She doesn't get enough

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
    That is not entirely correct, the amount of hard drive space that is left on your hard drive can shorten its life, and performance because the hard drive has to work harder to find the information that you are asking it to. However if you have 16gb left, it is very unlikely that is causing your problem.

That's not true. The hard drive could have zero free bytes, and it wouldnt have to work any harder to find data. A full hard drive lasts just as long as an empty one. The computer puts each piece of data in a specific place, and uses markers to remember the location, so whether you have 200 files or 2 billion, the computer has no trouble finding the location, and retrieving the information.

whoriental
    Quote Originally Posted by macdillon
    Reset your PRAM and repair disk permissions.

it's the answer to everything.
    How do I do that, the PRAM thing mainly, I think I remember where the disk permissions thing is.

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by sixslinger
    That's not true. The hard drive could have zero free bytes, and it wouldnt have to work any harder to find data. A full hard drive lasts just as long as an empty one. The computer puts each piece of data in a specific place, and uses markers to remember the location, so whether you have 200 files or 2 billion, the computer has no trouble finding the location, and retrieving the information.
    No, it is true. Modern computers use vast amounts of virtual memory. If the amount of free space is extremely low then the system will not be able to effectively manage its pagefile, and performance will be degraded.
    Or as Apple puts it
    Free up disk space—If you're close to maxing out your startup hard drive, your system performance may decrease. Mac OS X relies on free disk space to use as virtual memory when running applications. If you have less than 200 MB of free disk space—even if you have enough RAM—you may get memory error messages.
    whoriental, that link above might be helpful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sixslinger
    If i asked you to look for something in an empty room, then do the same thing with a very messy room, i suppose its exactly as hard to find the "thing" ?

Specs:
    Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
    Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.
    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    Turn on the computer.
    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    Release the keys.
    Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.
    She doesn't get enough cocaine
    She doesn't get enough hard
    She doesn't get enough pure
    She doesn't get enough

satzzz
    Try to download and run macJanitor.. Worked for me..

Thread Information