New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Speeding up my Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whoriental

I have a 12' powerbook that I have had for about a year and a half. It has 1.25 gigs of ram. For some reason lately it has been running super slow. I only have about 16 gigs left of disk space. Does that have anything to do with it?

What would be the best way to clean it up a little, just to make it run faster? Would a fresh install of the OS help?

Please let me know, thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
whoriental

Also, are there maybe any programs that would either streamline activities or help me clean stuff up?
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Good question, I too would like to know this for the future of my Mac's life, even though mine is brand new right now. I want to keep it as free as possible from cluttered up files.
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

Matthew_love84 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g

same here
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

in short, NO. Hard disk space, (or lack thereof), has nothing to do with computer performance. More than likely a program you are using (or dont know is running), is sucking up your RAM. Use activity moniter (Applications->Utilities), and check it out. Use your computer as you normally would for a few hours, then open activity monitor and see how much RAM each program is using. Anything that you dont recognize, that is using over 100MB is suspect.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

As for programs that will help you clean up your files, try a program called Cocktail.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

That is not entirely correct, the amount of hard drive space that is left on your hard drive can shorten its life, and performance because the hard drive has to work harder to find the information that you are asking it to. However if you have 16gb left, it is very unlikely that is causing your problem.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
whoriental

What is the problem then. I use the same programs I did, its just going super slow. I just want to figure out of there is anything I could clean up to make it run faster, or any program to streamline it.

The other day, my mac froze, that freak me the f*** out. That has never happened before.
QUOTE Thanks
macdillon

macdillon is a jewel in the roughmacdillon is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.

Reset your PRAM and repair disk permissions.

it's the answer to everything.

She doesn't get enough cocaine
She doesn't get enough hard
She doesn't get enough pure
She doesn't get enough
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
That is not entirely correct, the amount of hard drive space that is left on your hard drive can shorten its life, and performance because the hard drive has to work harder to find the information that you are asking it to. However if you have 16gb left, it is very unlikely that is causing your problem.

That's not true. The hard drive could have zero free bytes, and it wouldnt have to work any harder to find data. A full hard drive lasts just as long as an empty one. The computer puts each piece of data in a specific place, and uses markers to remember the location, so whether you have 200 files or 2 billion, the computer has no trouble finding the location, and retrieving the information.
QUOTE Thanks
whoriental

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdillon
Reset your PRAM and repair disk permissions.

it's the answer to everything.
How do I do that, the PRAM thing mainly, I think I remember where the disk permissions thing is.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixslinger
That's not true. The hard drive could have zero free bytes, and it wouldnt have to work any harder to find data. A full hard drive lasts just as long as an empty one. The computer puts each piece of data in a specific place, and uses markers to remember the location, so whether you have 200 files or 2 billion, the computer has no trouble finding the location, and retrieving the information.
No, it is true. Modern computers use vast amounts of virtual memory. If the amount of free space is extremely low then the system will not be able to effectively manage its pagefile, and performance will be degraded.
Or as Apple puts it
Quote:
Free up disk space—If you're close to maxing out your startup hard drive, your system performance may decrease. Mac OS X relies on free disk space to use as virtual memory when running applications. If you have less than 200 MB of free disk space—even if you have enough RAM—you may get memory error messages.
whoriental, that link above might be helpful, as well.
QUOTE Thanks
lionel

lionel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixslinger
If i asked you to look for something in an empty room, then do the same thing with a very messy room, i suppose its exactly as hard to find the "thing" ?
QUOTE Thanks
macdillon

macdillon is a jewel in the roughmacdillon is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

She doesn't get enough cocaine
She doesn't get enough hard
She doesn't get enough pure
She doesn't get enough
QUOTE Thanks
satzzz

Try to download and run macJanitor.. Worked for me..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i want to buy more RAM for my pb | Parallels trouble with outlook »