New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - ATTN: Macbook SMC Firmware update!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hey Macbook owners!

Apple has released a firmware update for the SMC part of the macbook, which controls the fans I believe.

According to some comments on TUAW.com this is supposed to cure mooing and lower the overall temperatures.

Grab it here:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...areupdate.html

Post your results!
QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

Has anybody noticed any differences?
QUOTE Thanks
campayne

campayne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod

just instaled

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I don't think I will be installing it for now. I have no noise at all from it, it doesnt get that hot, all in all this thing has been perfect, so im not gonna screw witha good thing

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

I installed also.

I reloaded that webpage because it says that if the instructions appear after the installation then it was not a successful procedure. After recieving confirmation by the update software I reloaded the page and the instructions appeared again.

i will try to install following the instructions one more time

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
ak1nza

ak1nza will become famous soon enough

My idle temps have gone from around 66-67C down to 57-60C after updated the firmware.

So it definitely did something good.

BLACK MACBOOK (2GHZ, 2GB HDD, 80GB HDD, SUPERDRIVE) <=> RED APPLE LOGO!
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Hoorah!

That is all.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Okay, I just used my macbook on my lap a bit BEFORE the update, and it was uncomfortably hot. CoreDuoTemp was showing temps between 58-60.

After the update, the temperature has dropped to 52-55 and it's warm on my lap but not HOT like it was before. It seems about on par with my old iBook.

Some people seem to be hearing the fan constantly spinning which might actually be the case, but it's that really slow spinning, so I can't really hear it at all, unless I go in close.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I can confirm that with a browser and itunes open (downloading podcasts) it's at 54C. This is down from the 60 it was before. Also, and this is more important for me, it was running at 68 due to some hard work I put it through (iTunes visualisations, playing a Flash animation, while running an iPhoto slideshow) and it dropped back to 52 much faster than before.
QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

it's definitely dropping my temps to a noticeable difference. idle temps are lower (low to mid 50's) and when i'm doing processor intensive stuff, it goes into the upper 60's but then drops to the low 50's VERY quickly. definitely cooler to the touch.
QUOTE Thanks
LSK6453

LSK6453 is an unknown at this point

It worked wonders on my temps. I can feel a difference
QUOTE Thanks
v3GTP

v3GTP is on a distinguished road

lol i've had it installed for a total time of less than 5 minutes and i'm already seeing an improvement! Before install temp was 65* after install its running between 53-56* (heats up to 56 then cools to 53 and repeats)
QUOTE Thanks
pistooli

pistooli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2 GHz, 20"

dropped to 53-57 from 64-66... nice... well done Apple...

MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.x
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

Now if they could fix the sizzling/whining processor...

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
VTECMAN

VTECMAN is on a distinguished road

Very Nice!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to not sleep when the lid is closed???? | DVD-RW upgrade...what are my options? »