New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro 1.83GHz?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mundaine

Hello,

I am looking at getting a Macbook Pro off of eBay and the one I am looking at has a 1.83GHz processor. After looking on the Apple website, I see that you can not actually purchase a Macbook Pro with a 1.83GHz processor. Does this mean that the item I am looking at on eBay is Refurbished? If so, what are the drawbacks of a refurbished Mac? If not, how did the seller aquire this Macbook Pro?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

NEVER, never buy new products off ebay.
Yes this is not a new product, this is not a referbished product (unllikely), It is just simply used.
Drawbacks: The drawbacks are the same as buying anything used, buying a used computer, buying a used car, buying a used boat. You don't know where it has been, or what it has done, or how the owner treated it, this is not saying that it is not a good product, this is not saying that it is a bad product, but it can go either way. Make sure you check the feedback.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
NEVER, never buy new products off ebay.
Why not?

I see nothing wrong with buying a laptop on eBay, I have sold plenty on there and they have all been in great condition. The buyer was always satisfied. I wouldn't expect to get a killer deal on it through eBay though, enough people are watching the auction that they usually go for fair market value.

In regard to your questions about a 1.83Ghz MacBook Pros, they were the low-end model when the MacBook Pros were first released. Amazon has some pretty good deals on brand new ones that you might want to check out.
QUOTE Thanks
J.LaFrance

J.LaFrance is on a distinguished road

Not true, you can buy a refurbished 1.83 GHZ macbook pro off the apple website. They are $1549, and mine is in the mail. My theory is that, if I can get the same warranty on a refurbished copmuter as I can on a new computer, what's there to lose?
QUOTE Thanks
Mundaine

So would it be okay to buy a refurbished mac of the apple website? There are some good deals on there, I'm just wondering if the macs have visible wear on them.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundaine
I'm just wondering if the macs have visible wear on them.
Of the ones I have seen in person, none have had any visible wear. I haven't heard of anybody on this forum having issues with them either.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

I have gotten some great deals on eBay, so I wouldnt warn you off there. As for Apple Refurbs.....they have brand new cases. only the guts are refurbed. You can buy applecare with them as well, to cover your butt if you want to.
QUOTE Thanks
J.LaFrance

J.LaFrance is on a distinguished road

Applecare has saved me twice, never be without it.
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

get the refurb. or a new macbook. But on something as pricey and..i dunno....serious...as a laptop, I would generally avoid ebay.

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks
Mundaine

Thanks alot guys! Just what I wanted to hear! One more question before I order this thing.

Do you have to purchase Applecare with your MBP in the same shipment? Or could I buy it in a month or so when I have more cash?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Yes, you can purchase AppleCare at a later date. Any time with the first year of purchase.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Mundaine

Thanks, I'll be ordering shortly.
QUOTE Thanks
bishopazrael

bishopazrael can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShillAT
get the refurb. or a new macbook. But on something as pricey and..i dunno....serious...as a laptop, I would generally avoid ebay.
Yeah, there's just WAYYYYYYYYYY too much that can go wrong for you on ebay for something of this price range.

There was an article on Digg.com about a guy who got ripped off for his MBP ... and ebay wont do a thing to help him.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« palm .pdb files | future teacher »