New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Looks like its time for a new computer!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

Well here we go, I'm updating my computer.

I have two main choices Macbook, or macbook pro? I can get the a macbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 100 or 120 gig hard drive for just about the same price as I can get a baseline macbook pro. The only advantadge I can see of getting the macbook is the graphics card, and I can't decide how big of a difference this will make. The other consideration is of the woodcrest, and if apple will update the macbook pro with these processors in the next month as rumored. So if I were to go for the macbook pro, I would end up waiting about a month. However, If I went for the macbook I could get it now totally upgraded. I eventually will be able to upgrade the macbook pro if I buy it anway, but it won't be immediate. Any comments will be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
Well here we go, I'm updating my computer.

I have two main choices Macbook, or macbook pro? I can get the a macbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 100 or 120 gig hard drive for just about the same price as I can get a baseline macbook pro. The only advantadge I can see of getting the macbook is the graphics card, and I can't decide how big of a difference this will make. The other consideration is of the woodcrest, and if apple will update the macbook pro with these processors in the next month as rumored. So if I were to go for the macbook pro, I would end up waiting about a month. However, If I went for the macbook I could get it now totally upgraded. I eventually will be able to upgrade the macbook pro if I buy it anway, but it won't be immediate. Any comments will be appreciated.

If you have the dough I would go for the MBP. In my opinion it is a better choice because you are not stuck with the glossy screen if you dont like it and it has a better sized screen (13" doesn't really cut it for me). Also definately wait and see what the crack with the updated MPBs are. If you don't plan on doing some hardcore work on you computer then you can't really go wrong with the MacBook though.

Good luck

QUOTE Thanks
Katie

yes, if you have the $$ I would definitely wait a little bit and go for the MBP. otherwise, the Macbook is still a great laptop.. especially if you put as much as you can into it.
QUOTE Thanks
ripfrankwhite

ripfrankwhite will become famous soon enough

I have a MacBook and I would love to have a MBP. If you can afford it, then get the MBP, it is a better machine overall. I only paid 900 for MacBook fully loaded. So it was a no brainer. Still, the MB is a great machine for the money.
QUOTE Thanks
splen

splen is on a distinguished road

I bought the macbook and I have been more than happy with it, I would say that unless you have special requirements that mean you need dedicated graphics and a larger display (3d rendering, heavy gaming, heavy graphics work etc) then a macbook will technically fulfill your needs admirably.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Woodcrest is Intels Xenon workstation CPU and will never go into the Macbook or Pro. What they will do eventually is go with the Merom which is the new Core 2 CPU for Laptops. Who knows when they will update. I know you want the latest but it maybe be a while. Also read the test on Anandtech about the Merom compaired to the Yonah Core that is currently in the Macbook and Pro. The Core 2 Mobile (Merom) is in a lot of benchmarks not all that much faster than the current Core Duo.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Also read the test on Anandtech about the Merom compaired to the Yonah Core
There a little faster plus they run much cooler.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

Thank you for the replies!
So it seems that the macbook pro is the way to go. I've decided I could really use the graphics card, and the other small features bump it well over the macbook. Now, I'm just going to wait to see if the merom (not woodcrest!) is eventually used in the 'books. I read that article, and it still seems to me that I'll wait for the newer computer, if it comes out. The slightest the upgrade would be very nice.
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
I have a MacBook and I would love to have a MBP. If you can afford it, then get the MBP, it is a better machine overall. I only paid 900 for MacBook fully loaded. So it was a no brainer. Still, the MB is a great machine for the money.

How did you pull off a loaded MB for only $900? Doesnt it start at $1099?

QUOTE Thanks
devast8or

devast8or is on a distinguished road

Ya i like to know how you got one fully loaded for $900 too?? I paid $1499 for a black macbook and a 1gb of memory and thats with the student discount.
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
Thank you for the replies!
So it seems that the macbook pro is the way to go. I've decided I could really use the graphics card, and the other small features bump it well over the macbook. Now, I'm just going to wait to see if the merom (not woodcrest!) is eventually used in the 'books. I read that article, and it still seems to me that I'll wait for the newer computer, if it comes out. The slightest the upgrade would be very nice.
Good choice.

If I had my purchase to do over again, I'd probably go for the MBP over the MB. Not that I'm disappointed in the MacBook, but you'll definitely see where the extra money went with the MBP.

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hotmail In Mail? | Problem with Hard Drive? »