New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Looks like its time for a new computer!


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
macAttack

 
macAttack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 23, 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,509
macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

macAttack is offline
Well here we go, I'm updating my computer.

I have two main choices Macbook, or macbook pro? I can get the a macbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 100 or 120 gig hard drive for just about the same price as I can get a baseline macbook pro. The only advantadge I can see of getting the macbook is the graphics card, and I can't decide how big of a difference this will make. The other consideration is of the woodcrest, and if apple will update the macbook pro with these processors in the next month as rumored. So if I were to go for the macbook pro, I would end up waiting about a month. However, If I went for the macbook I could get it now totally upgraded. I eventually will be able to upgrade the macbook pro if I buy it anway, but it won't be immediate. Any comments will be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

 
digital john's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 21, 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 284
digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

digital john is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
Well here we go, I'm updating my computer.

I have two main choices Macbook, or macbook pro? I can get the a macbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 100 or 120 gig hard drive for just about the same price as I can get a baseline macbook pro. The only advantadge I can see of getting the macbook is the graphics card, and I can't decide how big of a difference this will make. The other consideration is of the woodcrest, and if apple will update the macbook pro with these processors in the next month as rumored. So if I were to go for the macbook pro, I would end up waiting about a month. However, If I went for the macbook I could get it now totally upgraded. I eventually will be able to upgrade the macbook pro if I buy it anway, but it won't be immediate. Any comments will be appreciated.

If you have the dough I would go for the MBP. In my opinion it is a better choice because you are not stuck with the glossy screen if you dont like it and it has a better sized screen (13" doesn't really cut it for me). Also definately wait and see what the crack with the updated MPBs are. If you don't plan on doing some hardcore work on you computer then you can't really go wrong with the MacBook though.

Good luck

QUOTE Thanks
Katie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

yes, if you have the $$ I would definitely wait a little bit and go for the MBP. otherwise, the Macbook is still a great laptop.. especially if you put as much as you can into it.
QUOTE Thanks
ripfrankwhite

 
ripfrankwhite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2005
Posts: 260
ripfrankwhite will become famous soon enough

ripfrankwhite is offline
I have a MacBook and I would love to have a MBP. If you can afford it, then get the MBP, it is a better machine overall. I only paid 900 for MacBook fully loaded. So it was a no brainer. Still, the MB is a great machine for the money.
QUOTE Thanks
splen

 
splen's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 23, 2006
Posts: 26
splen is on a distinguished road

splen is offline
I bought the macbook and I have been more than happy with it, I would say that unless you have special requirements that mean you need dedicated graphics and a larger display (3d rendering, heavy gaming, heavy graphics work etc) then a macbook will technically fulfill your needs admirably.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,593
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
The Woodcrest is Intels Xenon workstation CPU and will never go into the Macbook or Pro. What they will do eventually is go with the Merom which is the new Core 2 CPU for Laptops. Who knows when they will update. I know you want the latest but it maybe be a while. Also read the test on Anandtech about the Merom compaired to the Yonah Core that is currently in the Macbook and Pro. The Core 2 Mobile (Merom) is in a lot of benchmarks not all that much faster than the current Core Duo.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

 
jram's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 08, 2005
Posts: 472
jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

jram is offline
Quote:
Also read the test on Anandtech about the Merom compaired to the Yonah Core
There a little faster plus they run much cooler.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

 
macAttack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 23, 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,509
macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

macAttack is offline
Thank you for the replies!
So it seems that the macbook pro is the way to go. I've decided I could really use the graphics card, and the other small features bump it well over the macbook. Now, I'm just going to wait to see if the merom (not woodcrest!) is eventually used in the 'books. I read that article, and it still seems to me that I'll wait for the newer computer, if it comes out. The slightest the upgrade would be very nice.
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

 
digital john's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 21, 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 284
digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

digital john is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
I have a MacBook and I would love to have a MBP. If you can afford it, then get the MBP, it is a better machine overall. I only paid 900 for MacBook fully loaded. So it was a no brainer. Still, the MB is a great machine for the money.

How did you pull off a loaded MB for only $900? Doesnt it start at $1099?

QUOTE Thanks
devast8or

 
Member Since: Aug 14, 2006
Posts: 77
devast8or is on a distinguished road

devast8or is offline
Ya i like to know how you got one fully loaded for $900 too?? I paid $1499 for a black macbook and a 1gb of memory and thats with the student discount.
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

 
Richie_Gecko's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 206
Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

Richie_Gecko is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
Thank you for the replies!
So it seems that the macbook pro is the way to go. I've decided I could really use the graphics card, and the other small features bump it well over the macbook. Now, I'm just going to wait to see if the merom (not woodcrest!) is eventually used in the 'books. I read that article, and it still seems to me that I'll wait for the newer computer, if it comes out. The slightest the upgrade would be very nice.
Good choice.

If I had my purchase to do over again, I'd probably go for the MBP over the MB. Not that I'm disappointed in the MacBook, but you'll definitely see where the extra money went with the MBP.

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Hotmail In Mail? | Problem with Hard Drive? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mother-in-law needs new computer Wedge Switcher Hangout 7 05-30-2006 12:52 PM
Can you run Tiger and OS 8.6 on the same computer? RE: Repair Permissions sunshine1 OS X - Operating System 2 04-28-2006 03:02 PM
Computer won't see ipod Underbelly iPod Hardware and Accessories 0 03-29-2006 12:32 PM
Odd Finder behavior with icons from time to time walkerj Switcher Hangout 1 06-01-2005 09:36 PM
repair permissions a waste of time? Macman Schweb's Lounge 5 05-31-2005 06:26 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?