Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Bill_Gates's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2005
    PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
    Advice Needed - Should I sell PowerBooks for MBP
    Hello all! Great forum, I've been lurking it ever since I switched a year and a half ago! I am just too timid to post!

    Here's my question (I hope this is the appropriate place to post it in... I debated between this one, anything goes or Buy/Sell/Trade...feel free to move me if need be).

    I have two powerbooks (I'll list the specs below). The 12inch is my first Apple ever and I love it to death! The 15inch I ended up getting for free because it was sitting in the werehouse of the company I work for and well, the boss said take it!

    That being said I love having 2 pbooks, but managing two machines can be such a hassle! (Which docs are where, etc etc) Plus I really should simplify my life and fight the "collector mentality."

    Anyways, I was thinking of selling the units and using the money for a MBP. I am not a big fan of the keyboards on the MacBooks so I don't think I'd go for anything other than the Pro. I prefer the 15inch powerbook, I think it's very portable and I like the screen brightness/size... so do i really need the 12inch? But I keep the 12inch because it's still under apple care! I have no desktop system. I'd like to get an iMac soon as well.

    Another question... I am not sure of how much I should expect to get for the systems...

    1.) 12inch pb 1.33ghz 60gb 1.25mb RAM Super Drive Bluetooth, Airport etc.
    For this machine I have the original box and everything that came with it. Still has applecare until Dec 07. Also, I have a great Booq Boa XS that I would let go with it.

    2.) 15inch pb 1.25ghz 80gb 512mb RAM Super Drive Bluetooth, Airport etc. I have the box, but NO recovery media or powercord (blast!). And no applecare.

    I have not had any issues with either machine and both are in perfect physical shape!

    So, what would you do? I know it's my decision in the end, but I am asking if you were in my position...

    I am pretty much a basic user. I have no REAL need for photoshop or any PPC software.

    I'd be looking at a maxed out 15inch MBP (I'll do the memory myself).

    Also, is it likely there will be a revision to the MBPs in Sept? Soon?

    So? What would you do?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Member Since
    Aug 16, 2006
    2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
    When the intel imac came out...i bought one. Loved it. Then, when the macbook came out, I sold the imac, and bought a macbook. Last week I sold the macbook and got a MBP 2.0 Ghz 1.5GB RAM....... I know powerbooks are sweet machines, but this macbook pro is amazing. Its blazing fast, and the design, while similar to a powerbook, is tweaked to perfection. I would say sell the Powerbooks and go for the macbook pro....its worth it. As for the revision, Apple will no doubt put Memron 64bit chips in the MBP within a couple months, but in all honesty, you probably dont need a 64bit need to wait. there will not be a noticable speed difference between the core duo and memron.

  3. #3

    PowerBookG4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2005
    New Jersey
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I will say sell the powerbooks and upgrade if you don't want to have 2 computers, or atleast sell one of them and get a screen for one.. In my oppinion, there is no need to have 2 computers if you don't need 2 computers, so sell one, and buy something to make yourself happy. If it was me I would sell one of them and then buy a apple display to go with the one I kept. Thus eliminating the need for a desktop in the future, and eliminating the need to keep track of documents (weather its on your desktop or your laptop). This would be as I would do If I was happy with what I had, only but had more then one.
    My Website
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

  4. #4

    Member Since
    Aug 16, 2006
    2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
    look at it this way....within the next year, that powerbook is going to start showing its age pretty rapidly. You are going to have to upgrade...the question is when

  5. #5

    BlueBacchus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2006
    Southern Cali
    White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
    If there is no need to upgrade, then why bother?
    My Avatar says it all.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How many posts needed to post in buy/sell/trade?
    By VigCS in forum Community Suggestions and Feedback
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 01:02 PM
  2. PC convert advice on Powerbooks
    By FairNSq in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
  3. advice on where to sell ibook G3 as spares?
    By sonjae in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 11:22 PM
  4. New to Macs - MB or MBP, advice needed
    By g-boac in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts