New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - My latest revision MacBook Pro whines?!?!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cbeck

Hi,

I recently purchased a 15.4" 2.16 GHz MBP with the latest revision motherboard (serial #W86281PUVWZ). I had previously returned a earlier MBP because of the whine. The newest revision motherboard is supposed to take care of the problem, but I've noticed that the new 'book makes the same exact noise only much quieter.

Is this normal? You can barely hear the noise unless you put your ear right up to the keyboard. I'm authorized for a replacement ... should I return it?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Why are you putting your ear right up against the keyboard?

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
cbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Why are you putting your ear right up against the keyboard?
Fair enough. I'll be using this laptop while attending law school. My worry is that when I'm in a dead-quiet library at 3am trying to punch out a paper, the whine will be audible and annoy me. In a noisy house with roomates, putting my ear close to the keyboard is the only way I can hear it.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

There are probably more comfortable places to take naps besides on a keyboard. Anyway, if it bothers you that much and you can do without it for a while I say go ahead and get it replaced. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother with it if it is that quiet.
QUOTE Thanks
cbeck

I'm mainly interest in figuring out if ALL of the newer revision boards have a faint whine. Can someone with good hearing and a latest revision board do the ear-to-keyboard test for me?
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

mine kinda hums, the only "whine" i hear is the hd needle moving

i mean if it really bothers you, id replace it. but maybe you should go to an apple store and see if theirs makes the same noise, they might wonder why you have your ear on it but it would be worth doing before you go through the hassle of getting a replacement
QUOTE Thanks
cbeck

Actually, I can hear the whine at a normal distance when the room is quiet.

And one more thing I just discovered ... the whine is only audible when connected to AC power. When running on batter, it's dead silent.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

sounds like a battery issue and not a motherboard issue then

<because why would the sound go away depending on power source?
QUOTE Thanks
pkny

pkny is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.

or something to do with the speakers picking up static / whatever its called when the ac adapter is connected
QUOTE Thanks
cbeck

I doubt it's the speakers or the battery. It sounds exactly like the processor whine, the frequency of the sound varies with CPU load, and the QuietMBP program stops the noise.
QUOTE Thanks
storyoftheghost

how long does the repair take? cause i thought about gettin it done, but i just may deal with it.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger2

tiger2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7

yeah i have the same problem

only when the power cord is in does this happen also the whinning stops when i keep my finger pressed down on the mouse pad click button.

so do you think i should send my macbookpro back?

-------------------------------------
powermac G5 2.3Ghz 2 gig ram
20" apple monitor
macbookpro 2.16 100gigHd@ 7200rpm 2gig ram
QUOTE Thanks
Hikaru79

Hikaru79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk

Try this -- run Photo Booth. Does the whine stop then? If it does, you have the famous idle-processor sound. Google "QuietMBP" and use that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook switcher. | Macbook Internet »