New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook Whine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gregor

I bought my Macbook about a month ago from a retail Apple Store. They gave me a week 22 and for about the past two weeks, I've been experiencing the whine/moo that people have been talking about with the fans starting up but then not actually starting up. I've been told people have been getting their macbooks replaced due to this, is this true? Should I just call applecare and have them replace it?
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

could you record it? i REALLY want to hear this moo people are talking about..

anyways, yes if theres a problem with a part that apple cannot replace readily, they will replace the computer. try calling them or taking it into an apple store
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

how do you find out the production week:? (doh! fogot about double posting, last time im sorrY!)

<figured it out, serial number?>>

gregor, if your really having those problems id bring it in and make them fix it. its a new computer, you shouldnt have problems
QUOTE Thanks
Gregor

To find the week number: Click the apple in the top left > About this Mac > More info. In the windows comes up, you'll see your serial number. The first 4 numbers, 4HXX: the two XX's are going to be two numbers, that's the production week.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

mines 24, is that ok?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I don't think you are correct there, otherwise my MacBook would be production week 62

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

the first few digits of mine are w86240... i think its the 24 part

<edit> yea its the 4+5 digits.. http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/04/...issues.solved/
QUOTE Thanks
Gregor

Sorry, trpnmonkey, it's the 2 digits after the "4H6" or whatever it is there.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Mine is 4H6225

Mine is dead silent, not that hot and the battery life even after 30 cycles is reading 90mAh above the rated amount

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Mine is 4H6225

Mine is dead silent, not that hot and the battery life even after 30 cycles is reading 90mAh above the rated amount

mine was like 100 above the rated amount when i first got it, now its down to 5400/5500 after 3 cycles neye:

i found a sound clip of the moo!! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=209677

edit again -- you can really hear it on the m4a file, its FUNNY

hey Gregor, heres a fix that worked for some people, give it a shot! :http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=213262
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Blimey, mine's week 11. No wonder I had issues

Still, got a new keyboard, top case, logic board and hard drive thanks to the guys at the Apple store so all should be well now.
QUOTE Thanks
campayne

campayne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod

mine has moo'd before but it goes away and dosent do it constantly just every so often

QUOTE Thanks
Gregor

Applecare wasnt any help at all, they said tough luck basically.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

For the 'moo'ing issue, I'm not surprised they said tough luck. Mine has done it before, and the only reason I heard it was because it was at a time when ambient noise was zero. Even having the TV on was enough to make it hardly noticeable. Compared to the constant drone of most powerful laptops, it really isn't worth the level of complaints it's been getting.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Mine is 4H6225

Try closing all apps, and wait a few minutes for the system to start idling. My whine does become very audible when the cpu isn't being used.

It's only annoying when I need to keep it running overnight (downloading files). Then the whine cuts in and out every 30 seconds or so... (1-room apartment with combined office/bedroom, so it's annoying when you're trying to sleep. On the bright side we haven't had as many mosquitoes this year )
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Illuminated Keyboard? | Apple's delay in replacement parts »