New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - To MBP or not MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

babadi

I folks,

I currently own a PowerMac Dual G5 2.3ghz and a Toshiba R200 (Pentium M low-voltage 1.2ghz) notebook running WinXP. I use the Mac the vast majority of the time, although the notebook is nice to have for when I need to bring a computer with me (not often) and for when I need to run a Windows app. It's not a great situation, though, since having files on two separate machines in a pain, and the notebook is just too darn slow.

After hearing about the MacBook Pro's performance, I've been entertaining the idea of replacing both my existing machines with an MBP. This would be ideal since I'd have all my files in one place, I'd have a fast machine that I can take with me, and I could run Windows apps via virtualization. But these conveniences would not be worth sacrificing the performance I'm used to. So what I'm wondering is whether an MBP would perform at least as fast/responsive as the PowerMac for most of my common tasks:

- Software development in Eclipse
- Office 2004, especially Word and Entourage
- Web browsing in Safari and Camino
- Instant messaging with Adium
- Playing music and movies from iTunes and DVD Player
- Very, very rarely, a bit of work in PhotoShop or InDesign

Most of the work I do isn't terribly intensive resources-wise, but I tend to have dozens of apps open at once, and I'd want to be sure that the MBP would be able to keep up. Also, I'd love to hear about whether folks are satisfied with virtualization performance on the MBP.

Many thanks for any input.

Regards,
Martin
QUOTE Thanks
hotpursuit

hotpursuit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.1 GHZ

Office 2004, Safari, and Adium on a MBP runs just as fast as they would on a PowerMac G5; its hard to tell the difference.
QUOTE Thanks
MacWill

MacWill is an unknown at this point

I bought my MBP 5-6 weeks ago.

For some reason it takes 18-19 bounces for my Microsoft Word to load...sometimes it takes other programs the same such as AIM.

I ran my disk utility and it said I had problems on my drive.

My MBP has been great but it still has some loading problems for the bigger programs, imo.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You seem to have a perfectly functioning desktop and there is no burning need to replace it.
Actually, you really seem to have everything you need already, so the MBP is the luxury call that is up to you.
:black:

If anything, I would replace the notebook with the MBP and keep the desktop.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWill

For some reason it takes 18-19 bounces for my Microsoft Word to load...sometimes it takes other programs the same such as AIM.

My MBP has been great but it still has some loading problems for the bigger programs, imo.
well it does run on rosetta, so it should be a little slower...but not that much slower. did you transfer it with the transfer utility when you got your mbp? do you have all the updates? maybe try reinstalling it, mine loaded in 6 bounces
QUOTE Thanks
VegasOnline

VegasOnline is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace3054 View Post
well it does run on rosetta, so it should be a little slower...but not that much slower. did you transfer it with the transfer utility when you got your mbp? do you have all the updates? maybe try reinstalling it, mine loaded in 6 bounces

Measuring time in bounces?

I LOVE IT!

That's when you know you've spent too much time with your mac, LOL.

"...love..."
[/URL][/CENTER]
QUOTE Thanks
-Jack

-Jack can only hope to improve

Quote:
I assume you live in the US then, I live in Hong Kong and ive never heard of Mr Clean....
theres no such thing as spending too much time with your mac
QUOTE Thanks
Semper Princeps

Semper Princeps is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Santa Rosa MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz & 5th generation 30gb iPod.

To Macbook pro indeed.

xbl gamer tag = Semper Princeps
Starcraft b.net login = Semper[EU]
"Always The First Among Many".
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Princeps View Post
To Macbook pro indeed.
I concur... read my sig!