Thread: Virus scanner

superdude
    Virus scanner
    Can anyone recommend a good virus scanner?

:doctor:

McAfee Virex for Mac

Norton for Mac

that should do it. :black:

Specs:
    Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
    Just a note, you most likely don't need any virus scanning software for your mac... at least not yet. There are very few known viruses that can do anything to harm OS X. I installed Norton on my g4 and it really slowed the system down. I un-installed it, and have lived without a virus scanning program for 5 years without any issues.
    Report offensive posts
    Don't forget to use the rep system!

Quote Originally Posted by macEfan
    Just a note, you most likely don't need any virus scanning software for your mac... at least not yet. There are very few known viruses that can do anything to harm OS X. I installed Norton on my g4 and it really slowed the system down. I un-installed it, and have lived without a virus scanning program for 5 years without any issues.

yes i agree with macEfan because as he said there aren't really a lot of viruses. And norton will slow your computer down. So i would recommend NOT to get a virus scanning software or a firewall because its build in the os.

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    ClamXav, now universal:

http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

menace3054
    intego virus barrier! www.intego.com uses very very little resouces, youll hardly know its there

menace3054
    yea norton does really screw up performance, but i do recommend a virus scanner, especially as macs are gaining market share and especially if you network with pcs. do a search and youll find a thread with all the pros of going with a scanner

superdude
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    intego virus barrier! www.intego.com uses very very little resouces, youll hardly know its there
    No, I'm staying away from Intego.
    It started crashing after I updated to the lastest security updates. And it was a b*tch to uninstall it!

menace3054
    did you run the uninstaller?

Specs:
    MacBook
    There are good suggestions and good information in this thread:

The Official Mac-Forums AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Deviant
    What about spyware? Do Macs get spyware?

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant
    What about spyware? Do Macs get spyware?
    Visit the link in my post

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    yea norton does really screw up performance, but i do recommend a virus scanner, especially as macs are gaining market share and especially if you network with pcs. do a search and youll find a thread with all the pros of going with a scanner

True, with the intel systems and all, I think a virus scanner would be good. However, I have a g4 tower, and because its old, and apple no longer ships PowerPC computers, that means the code is different. Hackers will most likely target the newer intel computers if there are ever any major viruses.
    Report offensive posts
    Don't forget to use the rep system!

Specs:
    MacBook
    True, with the intel systems and all, I think a virus scanner would be good. However, I have a g4 tower, and because its old, and apple no longer ships PowerPC computers, that means the code is different. Hackers will most likely target the newer intel computers if there are ever any major viruses.
    The type of processor used has little to no effect on the inherent security of the Mac OS X operating system.
    Its a piece of hardware. There would be no reason why "hackers" (hehe,lol I like that term) would want to target OS X on Intel systems any more than before. :black:

Thread Information