New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Coding on a PowerBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redone632

Looking to buy a PowerBook, but I'm not sure how coding will go on it like C++, Java, LUA. Are there programs like Visual Basic and such that run on Mac? I'm going to be taking computer programming coarses but I want to buy a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by redone632
Looking to buy a PowerBook, but I'm not sure how coding will go on it like C++, Java, LUA. Are there programs like Visual Basic and such that run on Mac? I'm going to be taking computer programming coarses but I want to buy a Mac.
In all honesty, it'll depend on what type of programming you're doing. If you're doing commandline C++ or Java programming, you'll be fine. In fact, since OS X is based on BSD, you'll even be better off.

If you'll be doing a lot of Windows-based programming (i.e. Visual Basic, any Studio.net stuff, C++ Builder, etc...) you'll end up having to run windows on your mac, either via bootcamp or parallels.

Hope that helped.

Edit...Since I obviously missed that you're buying a "PowerBook" and not a "MacBook", you'll end up having to run Virtual PC as Menace noted, which is NOT a good thing. My suggestion would be to buy a PC laptop or a MacBook if you will need to do a lot of Windows development.

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_Gecko
In all honesty, it'll depend on what type of programming you're doing. If you're doing commandline C++ or Java programming, you'll be fine. In fact, since OS X is based on BSD, you'll even be better off.

If you'll be doing a lot of Windows-based programming (i.e. Visual Basic, any Studio.net stuff, C++ Builder, etc...) you'll end up having to run windows on your mac, either via bootcamp or parallels.

Hope that helped.

but since your saying powerbook, youll have to use virtual pc which is really very incredibly painfully slow
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Figure out what you are going to be doing first before you buy anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace3054
but since your saying powerbook, youll have to use virtual pc which is really very incredibly painfully slow
HAHA...that's right. I'll edit my first post

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Figure out what you are going to be doing first before you buy anything.
Exactly. Find out what the technology and hardware requirements are for the course FIRST, then worry about what machine to get. I would highly recommend meeting your class's requirements. The computer you need is more important than the machine you want... worry about getting the machine you need.
You can always get a second-hand Mac from Craigslist or eBay later on if you want to delve into the world of Mac OS.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My powerbook, says it doesnt have a trackpad? [HELP!] | Can my iBook handle the workload? »