redone632
    Coding on a PowerBook
    Looking to buy a PowerBook, but I'm not sure how coding will go on it like C++, Java, LUA. Are there programs like Visual Basic and such that run on Mac? I'm going to be taking computer programming coarses but I want to buy a Mac.

Specs:
    13" MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by redone632
    Looking to buy a PowerBook, but I'm not sure how coding will go on it like C++, Java, LUA. Are there programs like Visual Basic and such that run on Mac? I'm going to be taking computer programming coarses but I want to buy a Mac.
    In all honesty, it'll depend on what type of programming you're doing. If you're doing commandline C++ or Java programming, you'll be fine. In fact, since OS X is based on BSD, you'll even be better off.

If you'll be doing a lot of Windows-based programming (i.e. Visual Basic, any Studio.net stuff, C++ Builder, etc...) you'll end up having to run windows on your mac, either via bootcamp or parallels.

Hope that helped.

Edit...Since I obviously missed that you're buying a "PowerBook" and not a "MacBook", you'll end up having to run Virtual PC as Menace noted, which is NOT a good thing. My suggestion would be to buy a PC laptop or a MacBook if you will need to do a lot of Windows development.
    Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
    PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
    Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
    On the Internets: Flickr | My Site

menace3054
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_Gecko
    In all honesty, it'll depend on what type of programming you're doing. If you're doing commandline C++ or Java programming, you'll be fine. In fact, since OS X is based on BSD, you'll even be better off.

If you'll be doing a lot of Windows-based programming (i.e. Visual Basic, any Studio.net stuff, C++ Builder, etc...) you'll end up having to run windows on your mac, either via bootcamp or parallels.

Hope that helped.

but since your saying powerbook, youll have to use virtual pc which is really very incredibly painfully slow

Figure out what you are going to be doing first before you buy anything.

Specs:
    13" MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    but since your saying powerbook, youll have to use virtual pc which is really very incredibly painfully slow
    HAHA...that's right. I'll edit my first post
    Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
    PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
    Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
    On the Internets: Flickr | My Site

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis
    Figure out what you are going to be doing first before you buy anything.
    Exactly. Find out what the technology and hardware requirements are for the course FIRST, then worry about what machine to get. I would highly recommend meeting your class's requirements. The computer you need is more important than the machine you want... worry about getting the machine you need.
    You can always get a second-hand Mac from Craigslist or eBay later on if you want to delve into the world of Mac OS.
    :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information