Trouble recognizing external HDD
    Specs:
    15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
    I've been exploring upgrading my Powerbook to a 120gig HDD and using the original 80gig HDD as extra storage - or even vice versa. My notebook seems to be having trouble driving my firewire or usb HDD-cases.

My mom's Mac-mini (g4) and Macbook have had no problem mounting and driving both external cases; in fact, I used the mac-mini to facilitate the HDD upgrade with the Powerbook in Firewire Target Mode.

Does anyone have any clue as to why the Powerbook isn't able to drive the HDD cases? Any suggestions as to a solution?

Thanks! Jeff

helduck
    Quote Originally Posted by slyseeker
    I've been exploring upgrading my Powerbook to a 120gig HDD and using the original 80gig HDD as extra storage - or even vice versa. My notebook seems to be having trouble driving my firewire or usb HDD-cases.

My mom's Mac-mini (g4) and Macbook have had no problem mounting and driving both external cases; in fact, I used the mac-mini to facilitate the HDD upgrade with the Powerbook in Firewire Target Mode.

Does anyone have any clue as to why the Powerbook isn't able to drive the HDD cases? Any suggestions as to a solution?

Thanks! Jeff
    the exact problem with powerbooks including mine, as i found out couple weeks ago, is that the USB doesn't give out enough juice to power the HDD EVEN when plugged in. ibooks work, imacs work, just not powerbooks. you maybe want to try and plug in a direct powersource to your drive and see if that works.

I have a latest revision g4 15" powerbook btw.

Specs:
    15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
    Thanks for the extra info, it really clears up a lot of the confusion! Nevertheless, needing that extra power cord truly defeats the purpose of having a portable drive. Looks like it might be time to upgrade.

Do you know if MBPs have the same problem?

helduck
    Quote Originally Posted by slyseeker
    Thanks for the extra info, it really clears up a lot of the confusion! Nevertheless, needing that extra power cord truly defeats the purpose of having a portable drive. Looks like it might be time to upgrade.

Do you know if MBPs have the same problem?
    don't have a macbook pro but best bet is to ask when you pass through an Apple retail shop its kind of those things they don't tell you unless you ask :black:

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    My portable USB case has a little adapter that lets you plug a 2nd USB port into the power connector, so that both combined can deliver the power to the case...

But Firewire should work?

Thread Information