New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Trouble recognizing external HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slyseeker

slyseeker has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB

I've been exploring upgrading my Powerbook to a 120gig HDD and using the original 80gig HDD as extra storage - or even vice versa. My notebook seems to be having trouble driving my firewire or usb HDD-cases.

My mom's Mac-mini (g4) and Macbook have had no problem mounting and driving both external cases; in fact, I used the mac-mini to facilitate the HDD upgrade with the Powerbook in Firewire Target Mode.

Does anyone have any clue as to why the Powerbook isn't able to drive the HDD cases? Any suggestions as to a solution?

Thanks! Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
helduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyseeker
I've been exploring upgrading my Powerbook to a 120gig HDD and using the original 80gig HDD as extra storage - or even vice versa. My notebook seems to be having trouble driving my firewire or usb HDD-cases.

My mom's Mac-mini (g4) and Macbook have had no problem mounting and driving both external cases; in fact, I used the mac-mini to facilitate the HDD upgrade with the Powerbook in Firewire Target Mode.

Does anyone have any clue as to why the Powerbook isn't able to drive the HDD cases? Any suggestions as to a solution?

Thanks! Jeff
the exact problem with powerbooks including mine, as i found out couple weeks ago, is that the USB doesn't give out enough juice to power the HDD EVEN when plugged in. ibooks work, imacs work, just not powerbooks. you maybe want to try and plug in a direct powersource to your drive and see if that works.

I have a latest revision g4 15" powerbook btw.
QUOTE Thanks
slyseeker

slyseeker has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB

Thanks for the extra info, it really clears up a lot of the confusion! Nevertheless, needing that extra power cord truly defeats the purpose of having a portable drive. Looks like it might be time to upgrade.

Do you know if MBPs have the same problem?
QUOTE Thanks
helduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyseeker
Thanks for the extra info, it really clears up a lot of the confusion! Nevertheless, needing that extra power cord truly defeats the purpose of having a portable drive. Looks like it might be time to upgrade.

Do you know if MBPs have the same problem?
don't have a macbook pro but best bet is to ask when you pass through an Apple retail shop its kind of those things they don't tell you unless you ask :black:
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

My portable USB case has a little adapter that lets you plug a 2nd USB port into the power connector, so that both combined can deliver the power to the case...

But Firewire should work?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« (HELP!!!) 12" Vs 15" | Firewire problem - powerbook G3 500mhz - 10.3.9 »