Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

New MacBook! 1st Mod!
    Hey guys,

I just got a black Macbook this weekend. 2ghz 1gb ram! This baby is sweet!

Just wanted to share my 1st mod with you all!

And here's a close up!

Specs:
    MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
    COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

How did you do that? Just with some red filter paper?

Specs:
    iMac 20", Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
    Do I smell Photoshop?

That is not photoshop. I haven't installed it on my Macbook yet.

It's actually red filter paper. I went to Kinkos and printed out a red page on transparency and got behind the LCD screen and taped it up behind there.

There's actually a translucent white filter already in there. I cut that out and used 2 layers of the red. 1 layer and it looked a bit too pink for my tastes!
    I like it a lot. When there's light out, the Apple looks white with a tinge of red. But when it's dark out... It's sick!

mfrieze
    that is really cool. how do you get behind the lcd?

awesome!

but as far as I know that voids the warranty there was a thread about that here not too long ago
    MacBook White [2Ghz] [2Gb RAM] [60Gb HDD] [Super Duper Drive]
    People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone

You have to remove the plastic which surrounds the front face of the lcd. It's attached by clips surrounding the entire plastic. Then there are I believe 8 small screws that attach the LCD face to the display housing. After you take those off the display can be hinged down onto the keyboard area (you can't remove it of course, since it's connected to the logic board).

After that you'll have access to the Apple logo.

I took my time with it. The plastic surrounding the lcd is rather thin and the clips on it are fragile. Things to watch out for:

- There's a magnet on the left of the screen which isn't attached to anything really. There's a spot in the display housing for it. Make sure it doesn't fall out and you lose it. I looked online and it's the magnet that activates the lcd off/sleep function when you close the lcd.
    - The plastic surrounding the lcd is attached with double stick foam on the bottom left and right corners, and also where the mic is located. Just slowly peel it away and it'll come off.
    - The screws are soft so you don't need to use much torque or you will strip them. The right size screwdriver is key.

I think that's about it....

Overall, pretty easy mod and I'm more than happy w/ the results!

Thanks for the compliments!

About the warranty, I doubt it will void my warranty since I didn't really alter any of the electricals or anything. I didn't unplug anything or cut any wires or anything like that. So.... They'd have to prove that I damaged something anyways. Either way. I can remove the filter paper anytime anyways if I have to bring it to the store.

I'm not afraid of any warranty issues. I don't blame you if you are. Things can happen and you could damage something. All i can say is don't try it if you have the slightest bit of concern that you can't do it.

Specs:
    MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
    I tried something similar recently with a White MacBook I have a few sweet wrappers of green and red temporaly stuck down to the outside to see what the Apple would look like Red with a Green leaf. On a white MB it's a little too colourful and xmasy.

Looking at yours though it suits very well. Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by symondavis
    I tried something similar recently with a White MacBook I have a few sweet wrappers of green and red temporaly stuck down to the outside to see what the Apple would look like Red with a Green leaf. On a white MB it's a little too colourful and xmasy.

Looking at yours though it suits very well. Nice one.
    I wanted to do mine in blue...
    MacBook White [2Ghz] [2Gb RAM] [60Gb HDD] [Super Duper Drive]
    People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone

Specs:
    MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
    Blue would be sweet.

My thoughts on doing this kinda thing is to use a translucent sticky backed plastic over the top of the Apple. Then you wont need to open the case up.
    Just remember to push the air out as you apply, like you would on a PDA screen protector.
    Then use a sharp craft knife to etch around the Apple carefully and remove all the surplus colour. Luckily there is a sort of lip around the Apple to follow.

I thought about putting it on the outside. But... I ordered my Invisible Shield already and am waiting on that to come in. It won't work with that on the top. I seen some other posts with different colors on white. Just didn't look right to me either.

Although, if you could make the Apple logo black on a white Macbook it would look good. Blue on white will go well together too.

Red and black just go together. I knew i wanted to do this when I bought my computer.

Specs:
    White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
    looks sick! blue would be killer for the white macbook!

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1nza
    Thanks for the compliments!

About the warranty, I doubt it will void my warranty since I didn't really alter any of the electricals or anything. I didn't unplug anything or cut any wires or anything like that. So.... They'd have to prove that I damaged something anyways. Either way. I can remove the filter paper anytime anyways if I have to bring it to the store.
    Not to burst your bubble since that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, but opening your Mac in any way other than the predesignate access points (HDD, RAM Battery etc) does void your warranty. If you take that Mac to Apple for some help they'll tell you your SOL.

Again, WAY cool mod there!

Not bursting any bubbles here. Don't worry.

I'll deal with any warranty issues when they come up. Like I said. I did this at my own discretion and my own risk.

Regardless. Thanks for the kind words!

Thread Information