New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Does Ram improve performace dramatically?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nemonicx

nemonicx is an unknown at this point

I bought the 512 ram macbook and i was wondering how much of a difference does ram make. Is it worth the upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Yes.

In every way, RAM will improve the performance of your computer.

I'd recommend RamJet. There RAM is quality stuff and very inexpensive. I've ordered from them on three different occasions and each one has been pleasant.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
taseal

taseal will become famous soon enough

oh yes its worth upgrading

its like putting a turbo on a car

alot of ppl reccomend g.skill here...

http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/mac/macbook/mods.php

some good resources for your macbook

MacBook White [2Ghz] [2Gb RAM] [60Gb HDD] [Super Duper Drive]
People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone
QUOTE Thanks
evolve

evolve will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram

it does make a difference. I lucked out though. the people at the Apple Store gave me an additional 512MB ram upgrade for free! I have 1gig now.

QUOTE Thanks
taseal

taseal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve
it does make a difference. I lucked out though. the people at the Apple Store gave me an additional 512MB ram upgrade for free! I have 1gig now.
no way? thats awesome

MacBook White [2Ghz] [2Gb RAM] [60Gb HDD] [Super Duper Drive]
People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone
QUOTE Thanks
evolve

Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal
no ****? thats awesome

yeah! It was pretty cool. When I went into the Apple Store (keep in mind I had never owned an Apple, nor been in a Apple store) I heard about the education discount thing. It just so happened that the guy helping me was the store manager and I told him that my wife was in college. (She was, then stopped going) she told him that she didnt have her ID on her and the manager said "no problem". Then I explained how My brother-in-law bought a iBook from them about a month ago and someone upgraded his ram to 1gig and just simply asked him if they could do the same for me. He agreed and the rest is history! I have to say it was a GREAT first experiance for a "switcher". :mac:

QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

more ram = more programs that can run at the same time = smooth , faster multi-tasking.

1g is becoming the norm and soon to be min. now a days.
QUOTE Thanks
evolve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiau
more ram = more programs that can run at the same time = smooth , faster multi-tasking.

1g is becoming the norm and soon to be min. now a days.
This is True.

QUOTE Thanks
CharlieX87

CharlieX87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz Macbook, 2gb RAM, Mighty Mouse

Two gigs work great in a Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Also besides all the other good comments above, if you are using older applications that run under Rosetta, most people say things under Rosseta run a LOT faster with more RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
nemonicx

nemonicx is an unknown at this point

Sweet sweet. Thanks for the tips, ill definitely be looking into upgrading the ram.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

It's surprising how Mac OS X sort of manages with just 512 MB, when you check the system monitor, it'll tell you there's a good 50 MB free RAM left. I upgrade to 1.5 GB and the OS adapted to use all of it propotionally and i still have just 80 MB free :-)

I know it's a simple obvious thing but I still like to marvel at technology.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Ram only helps if you can actually use it. Personally, I would say I only end up using an amount of memory greater than 1GB about 10% of the time I am working on my computer. Anything above 2GB for me would be complete overkill for me because I would never use that much.

Depending on what you do 512MB might be good enough, but I still think 1GB is a nice healthy amount to have. Also, it is cheap enough now days that its not so bad to have a little extra.
QUOTE Thanks
Katie

RAM improves performance for sure. if you have the extra money, get at least 1 gig!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

And searching drastically improves your Forum Perfomance.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible heat sink issue? Clicking MBP | New Core 2 Duo Processors »