New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Disable Sleep Mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CShannon

CShannon is an unknown at this point

I just got a new Mac Book Pro and at times would like to use an external monitor instead of the notebook's screen. The external monitor works fine and the mode can be adjusted in Preferences. So far so good.

Due to space limitations, however, I need to close the cover on the MBP to see the screen on the external monitor. But when the cover is closed on the MPB the notebook goes into sleep mode.

Is there any way to disable the sleep mode when the notebook cover is closed?

Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You answers are here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303722
Quote:
You can use your MacBook in lid closed mode if the computer is connected to an external display, keyboard, and mouse.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
CShannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Thanks, I knew there was a simple answer. I was using an external mouse but did not attach an external keyboard while testing the external monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
CShannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShannon
Thanks, I knew there was a simple answer. I was using an external mouse but did not attach an external keyboard while testing the external monitor.
I plugged a mouse and keyboard directly into the MPB with the external monitor in "mirror" mode. When the lid of the MPB was closed both displays turned off.

There must me another setting to prevent the notebook from sleeping when the lid is closed. I'll keep looking.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShannon
I plugged a mouse and keyboard directly into the MPB with the external monitor in "mirror" mode. When the lid of the MPB was closed both displays turned off.

There must me another setting to prevent the notebook from sleeping when the lid is closed. I'll keep looking.
Until you move the mouse... then it will wake up. At least it should.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
CShannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Until you move the mouse... then it will wake up. At least it should.
I finally found the right answer on Apple's site. Why didn't I do there in the first place?

Yes, you do have to click the mouse to activate the external monitor, but they also indicated you need to have the AC power adaptor connected to the MPB. Obviously since you are using an AC powered external monitor, you have AC power available and therefore should use it to power the notebook.

All very logical and reasonable!

Thanks again for your interest and help!

P.S. I'm new to the MPB but also have a PPC iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

also plug it in beause the monitor will drain the battery real quick
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
catman393

catman393 is on a distinguished road

I think it might be worth mentioning that the external keyboard and mouse MUST BOTH be wired and not connect via bluetooth or any other wireless means.
QUOTE Thanks
trev9065

trev9065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro

Hi, I was wondering if there was anyway to close my laptop and not have it go into sleep mode. I live in very tight quarters and I have been leaving it open with the screen dimmed but I feel like a accident could happen very easily. Is there anyway I could could close it and disable sleep mode? All helps appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

Install InsomniaX, works very well.
QUOTE Thanks
robbrauen

robbrauen is on a distinguished road

Actually...you "can" do this with bluetooth devices as well. You need to change one setting in your preferences (step 4). Here are the steps with an external monitor as well as a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a Bluetooth enabled Apple portable:

1. Make sure the computer is plugged in to an outlet using the AC power adapter.

2. Verify that Bluetooth is turned on by using the Bluetooth pane of System Preferences or the Bluetooth menu icon.

3. Pair your Bluetooth keyboard or mouse with the computer. For step-by-step instructions, see this article for keyboard pairing or see this article for mouse pairing.

4. In System Preferences, be sure that the Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer option is selected.

5. With the computer turned on connect the Apple portable (using the appropriate Apple adapter if necessary) to the appropriate port on the external display or projector and turn the display or projector on.

6. Once your computer's Desktop appears on the external display, close the computer's lid.

7. Once it's closed, wake the computer up by either clicking your Bluetooth mouse button or by pressing a key on your Bluetooth keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
MobiusStrip

MobiusStrip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShannon View Post
All very logical and reasonable!
And also wrong. This doesn't work. I have a nearly new MBP (5,2), and the computer goes to sleep when you close the lid and doesn't wake for mouse clicks.

Even better, if you try this and then reopen the computer, the computer's screen will remain black... ah, there's a big defect here: If you close the computer, it goes to sleep. If then click the mouse, nothing happens. But if you then reopen the computer, the external screen comes back on but the computer's doesn't.

You can then close the computer again and the external screen stays on. However, there's no apparent way to get the computer screen to work again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« UJ-85J Two Types - Will they both work? | How to Remove the spacebar »