Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

13" screen too small?
    I'm thinking about buying a Macbook after Christmas (once the new software is released). I will be using the laptop as my main computer when I go to university, which would mean that I would use it for watching DVDs as well as the usual study-related and general internet/IM usage.

My one concern is that the 13" screen will be too small to watch DVDs on comfortably, and would prefer to have a 15" screen, but alas this is not available in macbook form.

What do you think - will 13" be too small to watch DVDs on comfortably, or do you think it will be alright?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Christopheros

well I just watched a movie and honestly, when i'm in bed laying down and the laptop is on my lap, I cant really tell the diff between a 13 and a 15...

honestly, I prefer the 13 because its so nice and compact, yet not too small
    MacBook White [2Ghz] [2Gb RAM] [60Gb HDD] [Super Duper Drive]
    People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    My 14 inch iBook seems good for DVDs and my daughter 12 inch iBook is good too. It's a matter of personal preference though.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Nah, you can always hook up an external screen for your desk work, the rest of the time OS X makes working with little screen real estate a breeze (expose, spring-loaded folders etc)...

And you usually sit fairly close to a laptop, so it's fine for DVD's as well.

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
    Don't forget that the macbook screen is 16:10 aspect ratio, which means that 16:9 movies display much bigger than on a standard 4:3 or 5:4 ratio screen that's slightly bigger. In my opinion, the 13" widescreen is perfectly OK for watching movies on, and beats my 14" thinkpad standard aspect screen into a cocked hat

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
    For movies 13" should be fine I think. But when I had my 12" powerbook as my main computer, I very quickly wished I had gone with a bigger screen. I like having many things open and being able to see some part of just about everything. Chatting with 2 or 3 people, while having iTunes play something, and browsing 2 or 3 websites, the screen can fill up quickly. Expose does help a lot but personally I like having a lot of screen.

Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
    ive got a 17" imac and a 13.3 inch macbook, and i dont have any issue with the macbook being to small. youd think after sitting in front of a widscreen 17" screen going to a 13" it would be small, but it doesnt bother me at all. go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnatomyOfARyan
    ive got a 17" imac and a 13.3 inch macbook, and i dont have any issue with the macbook being to small. youd think after sitting in front of a widscreen 17" screen going to a 13" it would be small, but it doesnt bother me at all. go for it.
    yeah same here... I havea 21" widescreen, and going to the 13" macbook really makes a small diff... maybe its because ummm... I really dont know why lol

I do like having the extra space/resolution with the 21" though
    MacBook White [2Ghz] [2Gb RAM] [60Gb HDD] [Super Duper Drive]
    People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone

Specs:
    Stuff
    \Na, it's not small at all. I just came back from the Apple store and I used one. It is compact which would be good for a university student, also the display ratio is good.

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal
    yeah same here... I havea 21" widescreen, and going to the 13" macbook really makes a small diff... maybe its because ummm... I really dont know why lol

I do like having the extra space/resolution with the 21" though
    Same here, not much difference. I love the size, it's perfect. I just wish it weighed a pound or two less. What would machines be without qualms?
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

Specs:
    Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
    I too love the size. Very compact and tiny but still big enough to watch a dvd from a few feet away comfortably.

Katie
    I'm having the same dilemma too... I want the pro because of the better processor offer and because of the 15.4" screen. whenever I played around with the 13" macbook in stores and at a friend's house it just seemed almost TOO tiny! I'll be going back to the store on Wednesday though, so maybe my mind will change if I observe it some more.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdb89
    I'm thinking about buying a Macbook after Christmas (once the new software is released)....
    Thanks,
    Chris
    What new software is due out after Christmas?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    What new software is due out after Christmas?

presumably Apple will be releasing or previewing OS 10.5.1 during the convention in San Fran from Aug 7th - 11th

Specs:
    MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdb89
    I'm thinking about buying a Macbook after Christmas (once the new software is released). I will be using the laptop as my main computer when I go to university, which would mean that I would use it for watching DVDs as well as the usual study-related and general internet/IM usage.

My one concern is that the 13" screen will be too small to watch DVDs on comfortably, and would prefer to have a 15" screen, but alas this is not available in macbook form.

What do you think - will 13" be too small to watch DVDs on comfortably, or do you think it will be alright?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I have only watched a few DVDs, but I never felt like it was too small. I would gladly trade the screen size for the better portability and smaller price tag of the macbook.

Thread Information