New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Going off to college...need a notebook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rydude07

Basically I am wondering,

Should i get a 15.4 or 17 inch notebook? I know i WONT be taking it to class to take notes. I may take it to the library or coffee shop, and this will be my only computer during college.

Which screen size would you get?

Thanks! and yay first post!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 17in notebook unless I only planned on moving it on rare occasions.

Defiantly get a MacBook Pro over a regular MacBook if it is going to be your only computer.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

15", even if you dont plan on bringing it to class now, you might eventually. it really helps to type notes out. come studying time, you can use the search function to find certain topics in your notes
QUOTE Thanks
rydude07

so I guess I should rule the 17 inch out...but I know I wont be taking notes in class...and if i decide to, which i doubt, then i would get a 12 inch notebook later.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydude07
so I guess I should rule the 17 inch out...but I know I wont be taking notes in class...and if i decide to, which i doubt, then i would get a 12 inch notebook later.
I wouldn't.
If this is going to be the only computer you have, then why not the 17"?
I have seen them and used one side by side with my 15"... contrary to what others may feel, I really don't see that great of a difference. Sure, it is larger, but not by too much. You yourself also said that you won't be taking it out and about all that much, so the larger screen would be helpful if it is used in a more sedintary state.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

With the money you save by going 15in over 17in, you could buy a decent 20in widescreen LCD to use with it while in your dorm or wherever.
QUOTE Thanks
rydude07

true i could hook it up to an external monitor. I think the only place that i would take it is to the library and the rare coffe shops.
QUOTE Thanks
fliP

Definately stay with the 15. My last laptop was a 17" hp pc and it was just a beast to move around. After seeing everybody else's 15's I really wish mine was smaller. The only way I would recommend the 17 is if it had specs not attainable with the 15 and I know that's not true because I just ordered my 15" loaded :-)
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

yeah. go for the 15.

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks
PumpkinLand

PumpkinLand is a jewel in the roughPumpkinLand is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Stuff

Question, you definitly need it during college, but why NOT use it for notes? Thats what most people in college do.

Other than that, go for the 15.4". I myself, prefer smaller laptops. iBook 12" Macbook Pro 15" because I have an odd phobio of laptops over 15". Same with monitors no less than 15" no more than 19"
QUOTE Thanks
rydude07

well basically, i no I am a faster note taker with a pen and paper. Also, if iwant to take notes, i would want something like a 12.1 inch. I just prefer the pen and paper..thats all.
QUOTE Thanks
Yon Yonson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydude07
well basically, i no I am a faster note taker with a pen and paper. Also, if iwant to take notes, i would want something like a 12.1 inch. I just prefer the pen and paper..thats all.
You could always buy the 15" and with the money you saved, grab one of these fancy Bluetooth Tablets, you'll be the coolest kid in class.
QUOTE Thanks
rydude07

haha yea.
QUOTE Thanks
element112

element112 is an unknown at this point

the bluetooth tablets a sick idea thanx yon yonson im gettin one lol
QUOTE Thanks
Katie

take it to class to take notes on! if not that, you could just act like you were and play around on it... haha. I, personally, want to go for the 15.4" because the 17" seems too big for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Typical MacBook Battery Life? | what do you think my pb is worth? »