New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - how will COD2 run?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

taseal

taseal will become famous soon enough

how will COD2 run on a 2ghz macbook with 2gb of ram?

anyone tried? what kinda FPS were ya getting?
QUOTE Thanks
taseal

sooo anyone?

MacBook White [2Ghz] [2Gb RAM] [60Gb HDD] [Super Duper Drive]
People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

when i was at school a buddy of mine ran it on his 17 inch powerbook... i dont exactly remember the specs on the machine but presumably the new macbooks are comprable to even the best powerbooks.
QUOTE Thanks
taseal

so how did it run?

dont those have graphic cards?

People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone
QUOTE Thanks
Techno Mutant

Techno Mutant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 macbook

2ghz 512 ram and it runs fine, Its not the best quality but runs pretty good,
(dont know how to check the fps can someone point me to a program or somethin)

QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

duh that was a really stupid post of mine above, i didnt even explain how it ran.

The short version is that it ran really well. My pc is decent for gaming, but outdated becuase the last game I played seriously was...original Counter Strike. That being said I didnt notice a difference betwene the way his COD2 ran and any other FPS of similar demand ran on my machine. So the diagnosis is that it worked Well with little lag. None noticable at least.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

UPDATE:

Well I just played the demo level:

I get an average frame-rate of around 20 fps - 30fps with the highest settable resolution (1024x768), 2x anti-aliasing and all details set to automatic.
The game was quite playable, with smoke being a particular slowdown...

I'm sure if you dropped the AA and lowered the texture resolution you can get really playable experience, if you can put up with the occasional slowdown here & there.

System specs:

Macbook 1,83Ghz | 1,25 GB RAM running the OS X verison.

I bet the Windows XP version will run even better (Windows XP assigns more memory to the graphics card).
QUOTE Thanks
taseal

hmm interesting info aptmunich, thx!

I do have 2gigs of ram, and 2ghz (every bit helps lol) so maybe it'll run decent on mine then

and how come the highest settable res was 1024x768 and not 1280x980 (or w/e it is, i forget lol)

QUOTE Thanks
Techno Mutant

Techno Mutant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
UPDATE:

Well I just played the demo level:

I get an average frame-rate of around 20 fps - 30fps with the highest settable resolution (1024x768), 2x anti-aliasing and all details set to automatic.
The game was quite playable, with smoke being a particular slowdown...

I'm sure if you dropped the AA and lowered the texture resolution you can get really playable experience, if you can put up with the occasional slowdown here & there.

System specs:

Macbook 1,83Ghz | 1,25 GB RAM running the OS X verison.

I bet the Windows XP version will run even better (Windows XP assigns more memory to the graphics card).
what program did you use to see framerate? Or did you just guess?

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I used the built-in console command...

Enable console under the preferences and then enter:

cg_drawFPS 1

And I don't know why it doesn't detect the max. resolution correctly, I know it can go higher as it does on my colleague's macbook Pro - maybe the game is detecting the graphics cards and limiting the res. because of that?

There's probably a console command to force it higher though....
QUOTE Thanks
taseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I used the built-in console command...

Enable console under the preferences and then enter:

cg_drawFPS 1

And I don't know why it doesn't detect the max. resolution correctly, I know it can go higher as it does on my colleague's macbook Pro - maybe the game is detecting the graphics cards and limiting the res. because of that?

There's probably a console command to force it higher though....
possible

QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

CoD2 running well has less to do with the CPU and ram then it does with the integrated video card.

the more system ram you have - the more you could allocate to the integrated video, but even then it may not help simply because the speed of the GPU is not enough to push more details int he game.

i am very suprised to hear it run at all off integrated graphics at 1024 x 768.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

fftopic: are alot of gamers looking for 60 fps in their games or is 30 fps sufficient? :dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
taseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
fftopic: are alot of gamers looking for 60 fps in their games or is 30 fps sufficient? :dummy:
I dont remember where I read it, but there was an article about it...

a human eye cant see more then 24 FPS, so running at above 30fps is really pointless...

some games (like star wars galaxies) actually limits the FPS to 23 so it can allocate rest of the resources to other needs...

once u get above ~23 fps its really no worry

QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

that's what I figured. I deal with video all day and it's not discernable after 29.97
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« STM resellers in toronto? | Possible heat sink issue? Clicking MBP »