New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MBP Overheat issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

element112

element112 is an unknown at this point

I'am a big gaming fan. One of the things im looking foward to is installing XP and playin some games. But, i'm hearing it heats quickly when playing games. Should i buy a cooling pad of some sort? Would it help? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U.

I'm gonna install XP tomorrow to play games as well. I'll tell you if it gets way too hot.

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks
MacFan10

MacFan10 is on a distinguished road

Although I have yet to install WinXP, I do use a laptop cooler with two fans in it. I assume that the MBP stays cooler just from the fact that there is space between the cooler and the MBP, but I find the MBP still operates at a very warm temperature. Anytime I run a CD or DVD in it, it certainly does stay warm! But at least it does run. Previos to buying the cooler, the MBP would heat up so much, the optical drive would not run.
QUOTE Thanks
element112

element112 is an unknown at this point

Did anyone hear about people applying thermal grease onto their macbooks? Does it work? And where would you apply it? Is the cooling pad the only alternative for cooling?
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

there are also stands, but the cooling pad is probably the best option

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

adding or decreasing grease voids your warranty....so its best not to try it.
QUOTE Thanks
pinktank

that thermal grase is inside the macbook between the heatsink and the cpu and bridge. The problem was that they applied too much thermal compound so people were taking parts out and reapplying better compound. It is not the hardest thing to do, but not the best thing to do if youre not familiar with the innards of computers
QUOTE Thanks
iabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by element112
I'am a big gaming fan. One of the things im looking foward to is installing XP and playin some games. But, i'm hearing it heats quickly when playing games. Should i buy a cooling pad of some sort? Would it help? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I purchased A MBP it would cut off while playing DVd -at first they said it was a Logic board problem -then a fan problem.(over-heating)...they were unable to repair it. It took a month before it was decided to send me a new one....I hope the new one is not the same...I Haven't recieved it yet. Is there anyone out there with a MBP and no problems...? I hope neye: none of you experience what i did
QUOTE Thanks
stardotstar

I have just recieved my MBP 17" and have it triplebooting OSX/Gentoo/XP and so far found that in XP under heavy 3D Load etc it actually gets hot enough up near the screen on the right to feel like it actually might burn you. I suspect this is because the fans/power management is not fully optimised in Windows.

I know that I havn't yet got the full power management sorted in Linux so I am sitting it on a tray that provides plenty of ventilation until i get the fans and sensors sorted.

I'm gonna do some research into optimising the XP drivers but it was quite a revelation - never had a lappy get that hot before. Seemed to be more on top rather than underneath but I certainly woundn;t have wanted it on my lap for long

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/ind...le=MacBook_Pro
QUOTE Thanks
hotpursuit

hotpursuit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.1 GHZ

I tested World of Warcraft on the OSX and XP; the machine gets much hotter when playing on XP. The keyboard remains cool, its the speaker area that gets extremely hot.
QUOTE Thanks
PFerrara

I use an antec pad I got a couple years ago, works great even today, makes a HUGE difference
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

even something as little as this helps:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Pawz.aspx

if lifts your computer off your desk a small amount and helps the computer get more air
QUOTE Thanks
fliP

I don't understand two things here:
1) Why do people buy cooling pads? The Mac's are sealed on the bottom. They are not like any typical pc laptop that has intake fans on the bottom. I was about to buy one until I realized it was a closed case. The temp difference could only be minimal at best. If you feel I'm wrong: please back it up with some temp logging software graphs right after playing games in XP with and without the pad. I'm willing to be corrected here.
2) Of course the MBP's get hot. It's a smoking fast laptop in a 1" case. I'm used to mine now but every time I use somebody's PC laptop I'm like ", this thing is a beast!" No pc laptop carries the specs AND size of these machines. My MBP only gets hot when gaming, in either OS. It may get hotter in XP but that's becuase I have the video card clocked back up to where it should be in a pc, not in a thin mac. I haven't seen a laptop recently that didn't get extremely hot under high loads. End of discussion.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

my MBP, (with Logic Board Update), doesnt get nearly as hot as my macbook. Even in winxp, not really a problem at all. As for the thermal paste...that is the biggest load of S&$T I have ever heard. Too much thermal paste does nothing at all to make a computer run at any hotter temp. It would be a big mistake to try and mess with the paste.
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabo
I purchased A MBP it would cut off while playing DVd -at first they said it was a Logic board problem -then a fan problem.(over-heating)...they were unable to repair it. It took a month before it was decided to send me a new one....I hope the new one is not the same...I Haven't recieved it yet. Is there anyone out there with a MBP and no problems...? I hope neye: none of you experience what i did
Yup, your next batch should be fine!

Mine works perfectly, no problems what so ever

Good luck and enjoy your new macbook pro..

I love apple's customer service, the best service of the world

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Part replacement | MacBook: New vs. Refurb »