New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - How fast does your powerbook charge?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matthew_love84

Matthew_love84 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g

well, first I'd like to apologize for the flood of posts, but I figuered this was a bit of a different subject and maybe someone can help me out.

Anyway, when I bought this powerbook i somehow ended up with a 45w charger opposed to a 65w(which the 17" needed) and thought my battery was having problems since it wouldnt charge. Well, I finally fixed that whole ordeal by taking it to the apple store and getting the correct charger.

Now, it was charging VERY slowly.. but then when left overnight shot up to around 80%.. then charged itself fully overtime.... i'd let it drop to 85-95% and then charget it right back up to 99%/100%.. with no problems.

Well, today I took the powerbook to kinkos to print up a few items and the battery life dropped to around 50%..

well, it's been plugged up since I got back (about 4 hours) and is charging VERY slow, and will switch from the lightning bolt to the plug(in the battery) but the charger light continues to stay orange..

it's only charged from 50% to about 63% over the time, and I'm just wondering if slow charging is something that's normal at times.. anyone else run into the problem?

Also, the "time until full" keeps dropping, meaning it said 10 hours till full, then 8, and now 5.. but the percentage hasnt dropped.

btw, while typing out this thread.. the battery has jumped from 63% to 64%.

anyone else's powerbook charger rather slowly?
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

my battery charges to full in about 2-3 hours if im not using it. did you ever run coconut battery? see what the capacity is, that might explain everything
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

Matthew_love84 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g

menace, the capacity is aroudn 4300mah, opposed to the regular 5400mah or so.. but that's to be expected with a 2 year old battery correct? they do loose some of their life expectancy.

anyway, i've been using in the whole time, so that may also answer the reason why it's charging so slowly?

it's up to 70% now.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

yea whenever im using my laptop, especailly for resource demanding things, it charges slowly. the reduced capacity is expected, mines only 1 year old and im down to 3400/4400
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

It usually takes my Powerbook around 2 hours to charge from 10% to 100%.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

i cant believe my battery is getting shot, about a month and a half ago mine was at 92% then all the sudden it dropped to 88% and now its at 77%. yours is doing well considering its only 2 years old
QUOTE Thanks
shetz

shetz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5

Just wanted to throw my two cents' worth, and say that it usually takes about two hours to charge my Powerbook from about 7-100%.

He who laughs last will often find that he has no one to laugh with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DDR2-667 only running at 533MHz..? | 1GB or 2 GB RAM? »