New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Running slow?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Redbull

I've noticed recently that my G4 17'' 1.67 PB, bought back in March last year has been running mortally slow. For example, it took 21 bounces to open up Google Earth, 8 bounces for pages and the general opening of applications. Where as before, all used to open within 5 bounces.

I've tried repair permissions and an Onyx clean out, but no avail. I still have 87 GB left and running 1 GB of RAM.

Any suggestions as it is becoming rather annoying?

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

try running disk repair.. put in the osx start up disk, hold down c and then go to utilities disk repair (or something along those lines) there might be an error on the physical disk

i use Micromat techtool 4 Pro (www.micromat.com) it does defragmentation and system optimization, ive noticed that when my system slows down, that helps
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace3054
try running disk repair.. put in the osx start up disk, hold down c and then go to utilities disk repair (or something along those lines) there might be an error on the physical disk

i use Micromat techtool 4 Pro (www.micromat.com) it does defragmentation and system optimization, ive noticed that when my system slows down, that helps
Thanks, I did a disk repair via the OSX start up disk and a few permissions were repaired, associated with the Library files apparently.

It's a bit faster, not as much as I hoped. Unfortunately, I am not in the position to pay $98 for Mircomat, but is there a free trial I could download? Or can you recommend any free?

BTW, if you have google earth downloaded, how many bounces does it take yours before it opens?
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

just downloaded google earth, it loaded in 9 bounces. i have 2 GB of ram and a 1.67 GHZ g4.

also, you should go to activity monitor under utilities and see how much ram and cpu is in use, there may be a program hogging it. also, how many widgets do you keep open?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

14 bounces here, faster machine & different architecture though...

I'd try doing an archive & install if you're feeling brave. You'll probably loose some settings, but all your data & apps should still be there.

That way you'll have a "fresh" system again.

If you have a backup drive, clone your system's drive first, then do an archive and install and see if it runs better.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
just downloaded google earth, it loaded in 9 bounces. i have 2 GB of ram and a 1.67 GHZ g4.
That's surprisingly fast compared to mine. That's with the latest Google Earth right? Mine now loads within 14 bounces, and that's with all apps closed. I can remember, about 6 months ago when I first downloaded Google Earth, it used to load within 10 bounces. But now, it's 100% slower. What's really going on?

Quote:
also, you should go to activity monitor under utilities and see how much ram and cpu is in use, there may be a program hogging it. also, how many widgets do you keep open?
I had 14 widgets open. As part of the experiment, I close most them, with just three basic widgets open. And I've also disabled the animated dock.

Then restarted the machine. Result? Earth Loaded in 24 bounces.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
14 bounces here, faster machine & different architecture though...

I'd try doing an archive & install if you're feeling brave. You'll probably loose some settings, but all your data & apps should still be there.

That way you'll have a "fresh" system again.

If you have a backup drive, clone your system's drive first, then do an archive and install and see if it runs better.
By cowardice prevents me from doing an archive & install. I can't see how it would improve the CPU. Nor do I have a back-up drive either.

Actually, I have changed a lot of my icons around my computer and replaced it with a couple of fantasy ones, could that slow down the CPU?
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

did you check activity monitor? see how much ram you have free, when i first got os 10.4 i would have like 20 widgets running and wouldnt close them when i was done, that really eats performance. doing an archive and install is pretty safe, it backs up your files for you, and only re-installs the system software.
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

I have a 15 inch PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz and it loaded in 9-11 bounces. I have 1.5 Gigs of RAM.

I got my laptop in August 05 and I can honestly say I have not noticed any slow down.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

when i used to own a winblows computer back in the day, id do a reformat every year or so to clean things out. if all of these things are failing, id almost recommend that for you. do you have a superdrive? if you do, you can easily back up your important files onto a dvd before you format..
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Just checked Activity monitor. Here's a picture below:

If I decide to re-format, do I still keep my modified icons, pictures and all important files? Yes, I have superdrive and might back-up the most important files.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

what did it say for system memory?

heres what mine looks like

Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (115.4 KB, 32 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
what did it say for system memory?
Wired: 95.01 MB
Active: 129.99 MB
Inactive 183.86 MB
Used: 407.45 MB
Free: 616.62
VM size: 4.08 GB

Yours looks more consistently used and still, performs much faster.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

yea so if you have 616mb free it shoudlnt be slow, the reformat should fix things up for you
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
yea so if you have 616mb free it shoudlnt be slow, the reformat should fix things up for you
Right. Just to make things clear before I commit myself. Do I retain all my photos, documents, emails, modified icons, all relevant software updates and iTunes album?

Just to say, what else do I lose from reformat?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Loud Optical Drive | Lost Display »