New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - RAM help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

groovetuber

groovetuber is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: White Macbook, 1.83 ghz, 512 mb RAM, 60 gb HD

Sorry to make yet another thread about RAM, but I need to some help. I recently purchased a Macbook and I am thinking about upgrading my RAM to at least 1 Gig. I do a lot of recording with my band and I wanted to get suggestions on what you think I should upgrade to. Also, what kind of RAM should I get, where are the best deals? Basically anything I need to know about RAM please inform me, thanks much!

Anthony
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

i bought 1gb of patriot ram from newegg and it works flawlessly in my imac. your macbook takes the same ram.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820220078
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

definitely up it to at least 1GB - you'll see a jump in performance when you're recording multiple tracks at once.
QUOTE Thanks
groovetuber

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! For recording purposes, do you think that 1 gig RAM would be enough? I'm cool with that as long as I don't run into any problems with freezing or latency. Aside from making my comp run faster, is there anything else that RAM does?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovetuber
Awesome, thanks for the help guys! For recording purposes, do you think that 1 gig RAM would be enough? I'm cool with that as long as I don't run into any problems with freezing or latency. Aside from making my comp run faster, is there anything else that RAM does?
apart from making you life easier? Latency will be solved with RAM upgrades, less time the OS has to write to the hard drive. It will make your band efforts much easier
QUOTE Thanks
groovetuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
apart from making you life easier? Latency will be solved with RAM upgrades, less time the OS has to write to the hard drive. It will make your band efforts much easier
Cool, sounds good. So I should get the patriot RAM? Seems like a pretty good price. From what I've heard and seen, RAM appears to be pretty easy to install, so that's good.
QUOTE Thanks
groovetuber

Hmmm, I just finished reading some reviews of the patriot RAM, and some people said that the RAM didn't work at 667 mhz. Was exactly does that mean, and should I be worried about this?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Hmmm, I just finished reading some reviews of the patriot RAM, and some people said that the RAM didn't work at 667 mhz. Was exactly does that mean, and should I be worried about this?
Think about it this way - RAM has a clock speed at which it runs, just like a CPU. Matching RAM to the computer is most of the battle - cheaper RAM maybe slower, look at the megahertz it's listed as. If the RAM is clocked faster than listed for the computer, it will run at the computer's listed speed, thus if you get slower RAM, you might notice a difference. If your comp takes 667, look for that. I'd start there.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

i don't know why people on newegg are saying it doesn't run at 667mhz. mine is running at 667mhz.
QUOTE Thanks
juco

juco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iBook

I bought some RAM from crucial today. Nice and cheap, and works a treat! :black:
QUOTE Thanks
groovetuber

I read reviews of teh G Skill RAM, which alos appers to be really good. What is this talk about buying 2 sticks though? How exactly does that work and what is ddr2 ram?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
I read reviews of teh G Skill RAM, which alos appers to be really good. What is this talk about buying 2 sticks though? How exactly does that work and what is ddr2 ram?
Macbook RAM
Why Apple recommends matched pair memory

in the first thread they even discuss G Skill RAM!

ddr2 RAM is the next generation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
QUOTE Thanks
groovetuber

Is it better to get 1 stick of 1 gig RAM, or 2 sticks of 512 mb? Any more suggestions on the RAM I should get? I'm not so sure about patriot, I don't want to run into any problems with it not running at 667. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Is it better to get 1 stick of 1 gig RAM, or 2 sticks of 512 mb? Any more suggestions on the RAM I should get? I'm not so sure about patriot, I don't want to run into any problems with it not running at 667. Thanks.
I would recommend it because if you cant afford to go with 2 one gig sticks now, you can atleast buy one now and another later if you go with 2 512s then you have to then buy 2 1gigs later.
QUOTE Thanks
groovetuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian
I would recommend it because if you cant afford to go with 2 one gig sticks now, you can atleast buy one now and another later if you go with 2 512s then you have to then buy 2 1gigs later.
Hmmm, good point. How will my computer be affected though if the RAM isn't matched? Maybe I'll just try and pick up 2 1 gig sitcks now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook = Core 2 Duo ? | Help with an External Harddrive »