New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - 12" start up disc for 14" screen? + password prob? help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elguapo

Hey all, So I am a complete computer ignorant, so please forgive any silly questions.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I bought a second hand ibook on ebay, it works great but it keeps asking for a password inorder to download any software updates? I have tried to find a way to reset the password but it wants the old one inorder start the proccess? I aint got it? don't know what to do? The guy I bought it from says he reset the password to nothing and this shouldn't be happening, but it is. Any suggetions?

2. My other option is to just reinstall everything and start from scratch. I don't have the original start up discs, but my roommate has a 12 inch G4 and has her start up discs. My Question is Can I safely use her start up discs for my 14 inch iBook?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

1. You can't set the password to nothing, there has to be something there. So the seller is either lying or he just has no idea what the password is.

2. While you can't use your roomate's discs to install OS X on your machine, you should be able to use it to at least reset the password on yours to something you will know.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mattbokey

mattbokey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.07GHz; 30GB HDD; 512MB RAM; OS 10.4; 32MB VRAM; Combo Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
1. You can't set the password to nothing, there has to be something there. So the seller is either lying or he just has no idea what the password is.

2. While you can't use your roomate's discs to install OS X on your machine, you should be able to use it to at least reset the password on yours to something you will know.

How come you can't use 12'' recovery discs on a 14''? Isn't it the same hardware/software?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbokey
How come you can't use 12'' recovery discs on a 14''? Isn't it the same hardware/software?
Two reasons:

1. Recovery discs are designed to work with specific machines and will not always allow you to install them on a machine for which they were not intended.

2. Installing the OS from your roommate's discs is a direct violation of the EULA for the software and is illegal.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G3 or G4? | help me :( »