New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

need a car adapter...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chris041067

i have a new pb and plan on using it on the road...i was wondering if it would be better to buy an extra battery or some sort of car adapter for the cigarette lighter. I found 2 products on apple's website - could i get some advice on which might be the better way to go, or if there are any other options?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....14.0.5.4.13.0

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....14.0.5.5.13.0

the car/air adapter is more expensive, are there more advantages to it? i dont fly much at all, so i dont really need the air adapter part of it.

would it be better to just buy an extra battery? i could get about 6 hours of battery life if i had that, and that should be enough to get me to a power outlet to charge up again. Im thinking i might be better off this way so i have more time, even when im not in a car. what do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I can't comment on the first link but I use the second one and it works perfect....almost like it came in the box with the powerbook. I have used that in the car and airplane and it just makes everything so easy for me. When I travel I bring my powerbook that charger, the powerbook charger and my iPod. On the plane I usually sleep listening to the iPod and if it actually needs to be charged I just plug it into my laptop and get the juice from there.

As for the battery/adapter thing I would probably go for the adapter. The battery is larger, more expensive, and with its weight it can bang stuff up in your bag. The charger I use is incredibly lightweight and takes up very little space
QUOTE Thanks
chris041067

ok sorry the links dont work any more...but they are the 2 car adapters in the accessories section on the apple website.

still, whats your opinion on a battery vs car adapter?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

look at the second paragraph of my post there.

the links were working fine when i responded i guess the session just timed out
QUOTE Thanks
chris041067

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
look at the second paragraph of my post there.

the links were working fine when i responded i guess the session just timed out
yes, i did see that second paragraph, thank you very much for the advice.
i guess what i meant to say is "does anyone else have an opinion on a battery vs car adapter"

thanks again
chris
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

sorry bout that i thought the post was directed to me
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Actually, A better option might be a power invertor, which would simply add an electrical outlet to your car. They're often much cheaper than Apple's car adapter thingies. I used one on a recent road trip in my friend's car, worked like a charm.
QUOTE Thanks
chris041067

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta
Actually, A better option might be a power invertor, which would simply add an electrical outlet to your car. They're often much cheaper than Apple's car adapter thingies. I used one on a recent road trip in my friend's car, worked like a charm.
Yes, i was thinking of maybe going that way, but arent they fairly large and heavy?

also, for the apple car adapter, how long is the cord? Long enough to reach to the back seat of the car or an suv?
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

my friend's invertor is, but that's like a 200 or 400 W supply or something like that.... can't say how big the lesser powered ones are. (You really dont need a lot of wattage.)
second question: no idea.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powerbook & g4 upgrade card trouble | strange beeping sound »