New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - switching over hows this sound for a college laptop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jux06

Jux06 is on a distinguished road

well I've been on a pc since I was about 5 (those little jumpstart programs) I am 18 now and I have been through my share of pcs, my dad works for a semiconducter company that reimburses pc purchases every couple years. I am now leaving for college and I've totally fallen in love with the macbook the streamline style makes my toshiba and hp laptops look like WWII tanks. Now enough rambling to my point....I'm planning on ordering a 1.8MHz since I have heard theres not much of a difference between that and the 2.0, upgrading to a gig of ram and a 80gb maybe 100gb hd. From what I have read that should be perfect for college...surfing, word, light photoshopping etc. but i wanted to hear some opinions one more time since this is the first computer I am going to buy by myself....

Ps. for college, is it worth spending $200 on a copy of XPsp2?
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I think that is a great machine for college! With a gig of ram and the big HD that should be plenty for what you want to do. Ahhh I wouldnt waste my money on windows unless you really need it for college.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
thjustintoo

If you want to have a copy of XP i would suggest waiting till you start school. Go to the book store and see if they are selling copies, both my college and my law school sell copies for drastically reduced prices, only thing you dont get is the box. One perk of your tuition haha.
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

I say great choice! I assume you will be using your student discount. I'd say hold off on XP if it's not needed. I'd say use the extra cash to buy yourself a good bag and maybe a few accessories, i.e. speakers, sleeve, Office for Mac, ext. HDD, whatever...
If you have the option, I would go for the larger HDD initially; you'll be grateful once your iTunes library begins to grow.

** save the cash on XP and use it to buy Applecare.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
thjustintoo

So i looked up the prices at the bookstore for baylor where im going to start law school at this fall and XPpro is only 80 bucks there for students so you might want to wait and see if you need it and then buy it from the college bookstore for cheap. As well if your getting office check your bookstore out cuz the baylor bookstore has it for 70 bucks, cheaper than even the deal apple has right now for 99.
QUOTE Thanks
DeathToPCs

I have a 1.83ghz 2gb and 60gb hdd and a extrenal 250gb firewire hdd. Definetly use the extra on the things that you need. I put all my itunes on the external for now.
QUOTE Thanks
Jux06

Im checking out the SFSU bookstore, and I can't seem to find xp. There is OS X10.4 Tiger for $80 bucks and microsoft office 2004 for mac selling for $149. Are these decent prices?

Edit: Just found the link for Microsofts new contract with CSUs ill be able to get office and xp for $70 each
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

If you don't have a specific use for WinXP I'd hang on to the cash. If it turns out you do need it you can install it later. Also check out this post:

Using Windows XP Upgrade edition with Boot Camp
QUOTE Thanks
Jux06

i just ordered my macbook im pumped
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux06
i just ordered my macbook im pumped
Welcome to the longest (seemingly) wait of your life.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2.0 vs 2.16 | screen saver problem »