New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Wireless Problems/ AIM on new MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aeturtle

I just got my MBP in and I love it except for the wireless. Everytime the computer goes into sleep and I wake it, it will not connect back to wireless. I tried turning off/on the airport but the only thing that seems to work is resetting the router. The router is a Linksys Wireless G. Also last night Safari shut down abruptly and AIM has multiple times today. AIM may be because I installed Acium (?) then deleted it. I'm completely new to macs so any help is appreciated, Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacGuy18

MacGuy18 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme

get rid of aim and set up ichat. It's ten times better!

--
MacGuy18
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree with MacGuy on using iChat, but if for some reason you do not like it, try Adium again. It does work and work QUITE well. A lot of people have had problems with AIM for OSX. It's just not that well programed.
QUOTE Thanks
Adiversion

Adiversion is on a distinguished road

for some reason, sometime the settings fo rmy wireless will cahnge all by itself and won't connect to the wireless router properly. For example try and conenct to a trusted AP which you have used for ages and my MBP gives me some odd IP address (using DHCP) Numbers that dont' even come close to the AP's range. So run Network Diagnostics and all of a sudden the IP address changes to something compatible and your away. This gets annoying when you ahve to do this almost everytime you connect. I take my MBP to work and use it at home so it does change AP but that shouldn't make a difference.

MacBook Pro 2GHz 15"
1 Gig Ram. Serial starting: W86093
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

adium works really well (I prefer it over iChat because a lot of my friends have msn or other), but the wireless cutting out? that's kinda wierd. I have my computer on sleep a lot of the time without moving it, and the wireless is still connected when I open it back up....

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks
Game2954

Game2954 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram

I wanted to use AIM when I got my MBP, kinda like what everyone else said, iChat might be your way to go. My airport is plugged in 24/7 and whenever my MBP is in sleep mode or initially turns on it is connected. You might want to investigate your airport's IP settings

Trying to reach nirvana one day at a time... :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
my MBP gives me some odd IP address (using DHCP) Numbers that dont' even come close to the AP's range. So run Network Diagnostics and all of a sudden the IP address changes to something compatible
This is due to the Mac supporting zeroconf. It gets an IP address in the 169.0.0.0 range (I think) unless it can acquire a genuine address via DHCP. It sounds like your router is taking a while to respond to DHCP requests.
QUOTE Thanks
MarteDVX

I don't know if this is a known problem. But my friend and I have the same problem when we have our might mouse plugged into our MBP & Powerbooks. The scrolling ball int he middle of the mouse, whenever you move it left and right while an AIM chat box is open, it will close the program unexpectidly. Not sure why this hasn't been fixed yet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What aftermarket memory are you using in your MBP? | Question »