Thread: new and need some help
01-10-2004, 08:37 PM #1laught0omuchGuestnew and need some help
HI EVERYONE. well i did it. I made the switch and im pretty happy. Having a couple of questions though if yall dont mind answering ! These might seem stupid and im sorry but i am really new to apple and this is the first lap top ive ever owned. So its double new. Well anyways
1. You know how you right click with a mouse...how you do that without the mouse to get all the option menu thingy.
2. I used to play games on www.uproar.com...and now i cant anymore...does anyone know any other sites to play on ?
3. Ever since i got my ibook...i havent turned it off. Is that bad ? Should i restart it every once in a while ?
4. I used to defrag and clean my window pc...and i cant find where to do that on my ibook.
5. Are there other forums to read stuff about macs on like this one ? I love just going through every topic and just learning more stuff
hmmmm i think that is it...well at least all i can think of right now. Thanks for everyones reply !!!
01-10-2004, 08:40 PM #2laught0omuchGuest
o yea...i have the airport extreme card but not the port thingy...is there a way to hook up the printer somehow so i can just press print on my ibook without having to hook it up with the printer. Hm..i duno if this is possible or not..but just htought i asked.
01-10-2004, 09:18 PM #3PRinMDGuest
Hey I'm fairly new to, but could probably answer some question, I believe the right click would be the control and the trackpad button or it's the clover leaf looking thingy and the trackpad, one of those to, not using it right now cause I'm at PC at work , so don't tell any1 I'm surfing right now .
The defrag thing, thats just windows. Mac OS has a Unix core I believe or BSD one or the other, so as for filing stuff and stability, Mac puts windows to shame.
Leaving laptop on, all up to you, Like I said OS very stable, no problems there, I would just make sure in a ventilated area, don't leave it in a room with high temp, thats not cool.
Any one else feel free to chime in, and fill in the gaps I might have left or correct me if I'm wrong.
01-10-2004, 09:37 PM #4CMBlecharGuest
Since Apple has yet to design a two button mouse (maybe that will be the 20th anniversery product this year) go out and get any USB mouse and eliminate that problem right there.
There are a lot of games out there that you can find to play, just look in Google for flash, shockwave or any of those types of games but ad mac OSX to the search and you'll find plenty.
I've had my powerbook for over a year and I think that I've turned it off maybe once or twice still works like a charm, it just goes to sleep when its bored or tired.
I remember defraging my PC...Those were the times.
agian search google for mac stuff you'll ba amazed on what there is to learn about that Apple of yours.
Best of luck
01-11-2004, 12:55 AM #5lzasitkoGuestnew laptopOriginally Posted by laught0omuch
2] Yahoo games works fine, or at least my daughter and I play crib even though we are 7 hrs apart (driving time) there are others so do a search
3] safe to just leave it to sleep, I have a iMac and it is never turned off (going now for around 4 months, since last power cut), my iBook is left on most of the time but does get shut off some nights, during the day it is always on
4] defraging is only on the pc
5] sure there are several others: www.powerbookmedic.com, MacAddict (magazine) www.macaddict.com, MacWorld (magazine) www.macworld.com, http://pub8.ezboard.com, http://forums.macnn.com, http://discussions.info.apple.com and of coarse this one. lots of info out there, enjoy!
you will see lots of posts on problems with the iBook g3 (later models), not sure what you bought but.... I did some searching on the net and found that Apple has for the past several years been gaining market share for laptops and right now is over 40% of apples computer sales. Now there is supposedly a class action suit going and they have around 2000 sigs on it now and people are thinking that this is a huge problem. Well if you look at overall numbers Apple sold 900,000 plus laptops in 2003, say half are g3's and half are g4's (no big problems with the g4's so figure that only half the people that are having problems are reporting, figure it out, less than 1% are having problems. I wish that I could produce a product where less then 1% have problems. Other thing is that as always people do not get on the firums much until they do have problems so you will see comments all over....
to use airport card you need a wireless receiver so no it will not help you print. It is good if you have a wireless router for the internet or in house network If you do have a network you could hook the printer up to it and share it. Works best with airport base station :-)
01-12-2004, 02:36 AM #6PowerbookG417GuestOriginally Posted by laught0omuch
2. games...i have no idea...no a big game fan other than HALO ( which is well worth every penny for the mac, aslong as you get the x-box controller with attachment..its like playin on an xbox
3. i have the powerbook G4 and i rarley turn it off...i ususaly just put her to sleep at night or dim the monitor down and turn screensaver on.
4. Defrag.....we dont need no stinking defrag, simply becuase of the file system OSx uses all files for applications are stored within their own folders...other than preferences (if im correct) so there is no need...just sit back and enjoy...i know how you feel i was a big time pc user use to doing some of the same...hell for some reason i want to format my mac cause im just so use to having to do that to my PC it feels like its time although its not !
5. my other fav mac forum would have to be www.applefritter.com
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)