New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro Red Light/No audio Problem solved.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

catchmeifucan24

I noticed there were a number of people who were having problems with the digital audio being stuck on which didn't allow the main computer speakers to work.

I figured out how to fix this, or, it at least worked for me.

first, plug in a USB device (iPod, hard drive, etc..) (I used an iPod)
Next plug headphones into the headphone slot, then uplug them. This should turn off the optical light.

Like i said this did work for me, I am making no promises but I had tried everything, and this did it.
QUOTE Thanks
jumbz55

jumbz55 is on a distinguished road

Yeah this works. You do it in this order though..

Plugin external hard-drive/flash disk
Plugin headphone
Eject drive/disk/usb device
Unplug headphone

it works!
QUOTE Thanks
exoboy

exoboy is on a distinguished road

I tried the solution above, but it did not work for me. I ended up plugging in headphones and then slowly pulling them out as I repeatedly hit the volume adjust button on my keyboard: the volume finally became responsive... what a weird problem. I am surprised that Apple has not noticed this little snafu...
QUOTE Thanks
bettyg

bettyg is on a distinguished road

though none of these solutions work...any other suggestions?
Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyg View Post
though none of these solutions work...any other suggestions?
Thank you
Wow this is an old thread. Take a toothpick or matchstick and shove it in their and movie it around. There is a switch on the top of the jack which needs to be hit.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
rmn87

rmn87 is on a distinguished road

Toothpick trick did not work for me, or anything similar. So, I took it apart to get a look at the logic bord. I reverse-engineered the connections I could access from the bottom of the PCB under the audio jack. While doing so, I found that you can jump two connections (one is sleeve ground and the other I believe is a connection from the switch inside the jack. After doing so, the headphone jack will not work as an audio output for either analog or optical, but the internal speakers will work fine. This is b/c the switch is basically bypassed, the macbook will never know whether there is a headphone plugged in to the jack or not. This fix is fine for me, especially since I had no other option b/c I'm out of warranty and I'm not spending $400 on a new logic board haha.

BTW, I'm a Ph.D. Computer Engineering student, I didn't just do this all willy-nilly out of the blue, haha. You do need a decent sodlering iron to do this and you must make sure you have a very small gauge wire (insulated). This fix can always be undone... if you need to for some reason. Below is an imgur link to a couple photos I took of the area and connections to jump.

NOTE: This is one a late 2008, a1278 MacBook unibody. The macbook pros may be slightly different, but you can figure it out with a connectivity meter and some fiddling maybe. They also could be exactly the same, I don't know.

macbook audio jack fix - Imgur
QUOTE Thanks
carlinaustin

carlinaustin is on a distinguished road

Folks-

Same problem. After listening via earbuds (that came with my IPhone), I yanked them out of the Macbook and the internal speakers stopped working.

SOLUTION:

Plug them back in.
Listen to something (Youtube whatever)
Pull them out REALLY SLOWLY.

This worked the first time.

Hope that helps...

-C
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting Macbook Pro to HDTV | Should I get a 13/15" retina MacBook now or wait? »