New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - RAM upgrade... necessary?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

diesel828

diesel828 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.

What is the biggest difference between 512MB of ram compared to 1GB? Is it necessary for a guy like me who browses the internet, uses iChat, GarageBand, iTunes, and some light work on MS Office? I do some word processing and spread sheets and rarely ever run more than 3 programs at once.

Can I benefit from more RAM and is it worth paying for the upgrade?

Thanks.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
www.myspace.com/callofdoody
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

Most of my computing is on the light side as well, and using iStat Nano, I can see that OS X uses almost all of my 1gig of ram at all times, so I can assume that choking it down to 512 would hurt my speed a lot..
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Try opening activity monitor and set it to show your current RAM usage as the dock icon (View->dock icon-> show memory usage).

If you don't have much 'green' left, you might benefit from some RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
iPodJon120

iPodJon120 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiddiums
Most of my computing is on the light side as well, and using iStat Nano, I can see that OS X uses almost all of my 1gig of ram at all times, so I can assume that choking it down to 512 would hurt my speed a lot..
Mines the same way. I'm looking to upgrade to 2 gig now.

20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB HD 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM
80 GB 5.5G iPod
8 GB iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

I've used G.Skill in two Intel-based Macs so far with excellent results. At $80.99 per gig, it's hard to beat:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231069

Make sure you get two because the MacBook likes matched pairs of ram (better system performance and much better video performance).
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Try opening activity monitor and set it to show your current RAM usage as the dock icon (View->dock icon-> show memory usage).

If you don't have much 'green' left, you might benefit from some RAM.

I never thought to do that. Thanks.

And thanks to everyone else for the advice. I'll look into upgrading my RAM if I feel it's necessary.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

Jeez! I'm running only Safari and have 8.56MB free??? What on earth is going on?

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

OS X, much like XP, really likes at least a gigabyte of RAM. Most expert reviews I have read seriously question Apple's decision to go with 512 as the standard for all MacBooks.
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

I always felt like 512 was sufficient. Now I feel like if it becomes a problem, I'll have to shell out more money to upgrade to a gig.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
i-VTEC

i-VTEC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+

I use Office, iPhoto, iTunes, Movies, LimeWire and Safari

I've learned you can never have too much RAM...made that mstake when I bought my Mac Mini (PPC)...I ended up upgrading a few months later...didn't really save that much and I ended up scratching (minor) my Mac Mini from DIY

I got Apple Store to upgrade the 20" Intel Core Duo iMac to 1.5GB RAM when I picked it up...when I pick up my 1.83GHz 13" MacBook...it will be upgraded at the store...!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I'd still upgrade the macs by yourself... the apple store charges quite a premium for their RAM.

The mini is really hard to upgrade, but the others can be done with no cosmetic damage at all!
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

The procedure for the MacBook looks fairly simple. I'll upgrade it when I can afford to. Right now I need it for tuition and textbooks.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
i-VTEC

i-VTEC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+

It's $108 CAN for 1GB Upgrade/Installed at the Apple Store

I bought the Kingston RAM 1GB for my Mac Mini for $120 CAN
QUOTE Thanks
DeathToPCs

I bought the basic 1.83ghz 512mb Macbook and added 2 1gb 533mhz sticks from circuit city and man... it is so much faster then before!
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToPCs
I bought the basic 1.83ghz 512mb Macbook and added 2 1gb 533mhz sticks from circuit city and man... it is so much faster then before!

Is everything running smoothly so far? I may do the same myself. I was running a few programs today and found that there was hardly any RAM left... the MacBook is so demanding and really bogs down the system.

At any rate, I'm also annoyed that the only programs I've installed onto my MB are Mac:Office, AppleWorks 6, and Macaroni and I somehow have only 39GB of hard drive space left. How is this possible from a 60GB drive? I am so annoyed. Had I known all this, I would've opted for the 80GB or even 100GB HDs.

Well, I suppose it's sufficient for now. I don't plan on downloading any music or uploading any movies onto my computer. Maybe I'll have tons of pictures on here but definitely no more than 3-5 gigs worth.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« my F9 key does not work | Is This Macbook Okay? »