New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - troubles getting it to go to sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

teacher24_70

I have a G4 12 inch Powerbook running 10.3.9. Lately, I've noticed a few sleep issues.

Sometimes, I'll shut the lid and it will take a long time for the light to come on showing that it's finally asleep--instead of a few seconds, sometimes it takes closer to half a minute or a minute.

My other issue is getting the sleep and hard-drive to go to sleep automatically (even when the lid is open). I have the computer to go to sleep when it's inactive for 30 minutes, the display to sleep when it's inactive for 25 minutes, and the hard-drive to go to sleep when possible. Sometimes, I'll leave it with the lid open (maybe listening to music, others just inadvertantly falling asleep--me, not the computer) and I'll wake up to find the screen black, but the light NOT on--thus it's not actually asleep. It WILL go to sleep when I put it to sleep directly under the apple menu.

Any ideas of why it's not sleeping correctly?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

are you listening to music on your p'book when you go to sleep? if you are your monitor will turn off but it willnot sleep because it is being used. sometimes after closing the lid it might take a few seconds for it to go to sleep because it has to put some stuff in memory etc and if you were doing a lot of things it will need to store more stuff before it goes to sleep.

so basically it sounds like it is working fine but you arent letting it sleep because it is being used, although not touched

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
teacher24_70

Only a couple of times has music been playing when I leave the computer long enough that it should go to sleep on it's on. Usually it's a matter of me working on the computer, then taking a break--in which time I fall asleep and wake up a few hours later to find that the computer has NOT fallen asleep. So, it's not an issue with the music--at least not more than once or twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
are you listening to music on your p'book when you go to sleep? if you are your monitor will turn off but it willnot sleep because it is being used. sometimes after closing the lid it might take a few seconds for it to go to sleep because it has to put some stuff in memory etc and if you were doing a lot of things it will need to store more stuff before it goes to sleep.

so basically it sounds like it is working fine but you arent letting it sleep because it is being used, although not touched
QUOTE Thanks
teacher24_70

I've done a little experimenting. I changed the power settings to the following: put computer to sleep when inactive for 15 minutes, put display to sleep when inactive for 9 minutes, put the hard disk to sleep when possible. I turned off the automatic mail checking in Entourage so that wouldn't accidentally start an activity. I also closed a tab in my Firefox browser that is set to refresh itself every 15 minutes. There should be nothing else that is considered "active" that would keep the computer from putting itself to sleep automatically.

I let the laptop set and didn't touch or move it. The display dimmed and turned black right on time. The computer itself never went to sleep and the sleep light never came on.

I'm not sure what else to try! Is there a setting that I'm missing somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher24_70
Only a couple of times has music been playing when I leave the computer long enough that it should go to sleep on it's on. Usually it's a matter of me working on the computer, then taking a break--in which time I fall asleep and wake up a few hours later to find that the computer has NOT fallen asleep. So, it's not an issue with the music--at least not more than once or twice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Built in ethernet not working | iBook Power-Up Issues - Help! »