New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - how to manually eject CD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

erictonn

big big problem now!!! need to get my cd out.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

First open Disk Utility and try to eject it from there, if that does not work, Reboot the machine holding down the mouse button till it ejects.
QUOTE Thanks
jaynorris

jaynorris is on a distinguished road

Also heard holding down the F13 button works... I mean F12 during reboot does the trick :-).
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Hold the trackpad button down while it's booting.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I'm becoming excessively fond of technote 88275

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

That's a great page, thanks!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

That is a nice article. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
debbio

debbio is on a distinguished road

Yippee, it worked and I didn't have to go to Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
SharpestLife19

SharpestLife19 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem with my disk drive and I've tried everything listed. Is the only option left going to apple?
QUOTE Thanks
ticedoff8

ticedoff8 will become famous soon enough

If I stick a DVD with a paper label into the DVD drive of my MBP, it always gets stuck.
I've leaned how to open the case, lift up the DVD drive, and by shorting two pins together (while the system is powered up) get the DVD to eject.
On my MBP, there is such a narrow slot for the DVD, that the paper label on a DVD will scrape against the opening of the DVD slot.
When I eject the DVD, the system "thinks" its gone, so the tricks to eject on startup and force ejection don't work.
I suppose if I didn't learn how to open up the case, I'd have to take it to the Apple Store to get the DVD out.
I've just stopped putting DVDs with paper labels in my system.
QUOTE Thanks
rubyt

rubyt is on a distinguished road

I've had a Verbatim DVD+R DL stuck in my MacbookPro for days now, and it was only acknowledged initially when inserted ("What would you like to do?"), but from then on, it was nowhere to be found in my finder, through applications, or otherwise.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, for I've tried a number of things, having been searching the web for a way to eject this "invisible" DVD. Finally, it was holding the trackpad down at start that ejected it.

Sheesh. Halle-freaking-lujah. THANKS, again!
QUOTE Thanks
cloydfox

cloydfox is on a distinguished road

This worked for me:
Force Quit (Restart) Finder and then use the Eject key to eject the disc.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelQuaMan

MichaelQuaMan is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem. The DVD was no longer visible on my desktop, and eject key didn't work. I didn't want to reboot because I was working via VPN, from Windows XP running in Parallels so I could not try that.

Amusingly, I was running Windows XP inside Parallels and 'My Computer' could see there was a disk in the drive and I ejected it from there. Problem solved.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelQuaMan View Post
I had the same problem. The DVD was no longer visible on my desktop, and eject key didn't work. I didn't want to reboot because I was working via VPN, from Windows XP running in Parallels so I could not try that.

Amusingly, I was running Windows XP inside Parallels and 'My Computer' could see there was a disk in the drive and I ejected it from there. Problem solved.
This, is because the XP instance was 'owning' the optical drive. This is true with every virtualized system out there.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelQuaMan

MichaelQuaMan is on a distinguished road

I tried to replicate the issue. The moment Paralles starts, the open folder on my desktop representing the disk disappears and is no longer accessible from the Mac.

However, VM Ware on Windows running another OS (Like Linux/Unix) does not behave like this; the disk is available from the host OS and the Virtual OS.

Given that the Mac OS is basically Unix, I am guessing it has something to do with how Unix/Linux mounts disks. Or maybe Paralles is designed to take control of the rom drive.

Does VM Ware on Mac do the same thing? (Rhetorical question, as that's probably for a different forum)

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I need to get safari back please help. | Connecting MBA to TV »