New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Powerbook G4 vs. MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacAddict06

MacAddict06 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4, iMac G5, 20GB iPod

I am new to hear and I currently own a Powerbook G4. I am thinking about selling it and getting a MacBook. But I would like to know what the difference is between the Powerbook G4 and a MacBook. I would also like to know the difference between running VPC on a Powerbook and having Windows on a MacBook.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
sharpie05

VPC on a powerbook is going to be incredibly slow, i think. the macbook can run os x and windows natively, resulting in full speed for both(i might add that windows is blazingly fast on a mac). the macbook has a dual core processor, theoretically giving it twice the power as a single processor. Better battery life(but not by much), built in iSight camera, and it looks prettier if you get the white one(black one gets dirty really easy). the only downside to the macbook is that the screen ghosts really bad(i guess it is inherent in glossy screen notebooks). a powerbook-to macbook would be a great switch in my opinion!
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

What are the specs of the powerbook so i can give you a comparison

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
scottish

First off, Intel has ramped up the frontside bus from 167mhz to 667mhz (motherboard speed to processor i believe) and it can do video and graphical things a whole lot faster. Also, when running windows on this machine, it runs at full blown PC (actually a little faster than our topped out lab machines) and can run PC games with out lag. Virtual PC ran at only about 30% speed of a PC while the MacBook Pro runs a pc at full speed. (Parallels for XP for MacBook runs at 80% speed). In the long run, the MacBook is the way to go if you often push the limit of your machine. Just my 2 cents.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddict06

My Powerbook is a 15" 1.5Ghz 1.5GB ram and 80GB Hdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDIT-XTREEM
What are the specs of the powerbook so i can give you a comparison
QUOTE Thanks
soulreaver99

soulreaver99 will become famous soon enough

Your PowerBook will definitely last you for awhile longer. I would wait for the RevB of the MacBook or get the MacBook Pro.

Macbook Pro 15" 2011 | Intel Core i7 2.2ghz Quad Core | 8GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
iPhone 4 32GB | iPad 2 16GB | MacBook Air 11" Ultimate
visit the geeks office
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddict06

I am not to concerned with how long it will last me. I am more concerned about performance and how windows will run on each of them. Also with the Macbook since it is running windows at the same time as Mac OS X how is it as far as be prone to virus attacks?
QUOTE Thanks
soulreaver99

soulreaver99 will become famous soon enough

VPC runs slow and is barely usable on both Powerbook G4 and MacBook. If you were to run Bootcamp in the Macbook, it's as if you're running it on any Windows based PC and it runs almost perfect. As far as viruses go, just use common sense by not opening suspicious e-mail or visiting pr0n sites and have a decent antivirus program for XP such as AVG (which is free).

Macbook Pro 15" 2011 | Intel Core i7 2.2ghz Quad Core | 8GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
iPhone 4 32GB | iPad 2 16GB | MacBook Air 11" Ultimate
visit the geeks office
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddict06

But is the Mac accaptable to a virus since it will be running Bootcamp? Would the Mac OS X be affected?
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

From what I've heard, if you get a virus on windows it will NOT affect the OSX partition. However, if the virus destroys the harddrive, which contains OSX, then everything will be wiped. As said, be careful with what you download. A question though, why are you wondering about windows so much? Most people use windows to run programs that arent on mac, and use OSX for things that on windows could get viruses (such as surfing the net).
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddict06

I am asking because I have a GPS program that was for my Windows laptop that I sold and want to use it on my Mac. But the only way that I can do that is if I run Windows on it also.
QUOTE Thanks
sharpie05

well now, running VPC *may* not be too bad... the processor load may kill your battery though if youre using it in the car or something. a virus on windows will not kill your os x partition, since it is written for windows. if i is a REALLY BAD virus, then it may just wipe your hard drive... the chances of that however are really slim, and youd probably have do delibrately download it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddict06

So then it is sounding like I am going to sell my Powerbook for a Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
ehoms

ehoms is on a distinguished road

I also got a powerbook and im getting a macbook this month, i want to be able to try them both at the same time, then iŽll decide if i get rid of the PB, or maybe iŽll keep both..

17' Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz 2Gb RAM
17' Core Duo Imac 2Gb RAM
QUOTE Thanks
skir0987

windows viruses won't affect the mac partition unless you have installed a program that allows windows to read the hd
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« charging pattern? | Mac Compatible USB Wi-Fi Adapters »