New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - New member, New mac user, many questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sleeperz321

This is my first post in the forum as i am new to the whole mac world. I just purchased my first mac (macbook) for my birthday. I am sure i will have many questions at first since i have never owned a mac before.

I hope to learn much information from you guys as time goes on.

My first concern is as follows:

I would like to transfer all my songs and pictures from my home pc to my mac.

Music:
How can i upload all my songs on my current ipod to my library on my mac?
I tried to just plug it in and what happened was it erased all my songs from my ipod. (i had to upload all my songs frommy pc back to my ipod afterwards.

Pictures:
how can i tranfer all my pictures from my pc to my mac?
QUOTE Thanks
TBoblp

TBoblp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)

First of all, you can't simply take the songs from your iPod and put them on your computer with iTunes. Search for and download a program called Senuti. That will be all you need to transfer songs from the iPod to iTunes on your new computer. Make sure you read all the info on how to do it before you jump right in. The reason why it erased all your songs when you plugged it in, is because iTunes is by default set to autosync with your iPod. If you have no songs on itunes, it tell the ipod that there are no songs on it. I, like most other people, turn this off so that I can manually import songs onto the ipod. You can only change this when your ipod is plugged in.

To transfer pictures, depending on how many, just put them on a CD or DVD and into your mac. Then double click the CD icon and highlight and drag into iPhoto as you please.

Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play.”
-Charlie Parker
QUOTE Thanks
Gethin

Gethin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)

Does your old PC have a network cable? If so just buy yourself an Ethernet connector and network the Mac to the PC, transferring all the music/pictures etc that you want to take over.

See here for a guide on how to set the networking up.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
threatsignal

Haha im also new and saving for a macbook, im selling loads of things to raise the money, i'm just fed up with unreliable windows and mac look so much more professional and the operating system is amazing and i'm really looking forward to owning one of these elegant looking beasts.

Anyway I have a question:

Will powerpc applications such as photoshop and dreamweaver run alot slower on the intel processors?
QUOTE Thanks
TBoblp

TBoblp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)

Quote:
Originally Posted by threatsignal
Will powerpc applications such as photoshop and dreamweaver run alot slower on the intel processors?
Yes, applications such as those will run alot slower. Some, depending on your intel setup dont run too much slower.

Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play.”
-Charlie Parker
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Quote:
yeah the applications do run but they run under Rosetta so it will be a little slower than it runs on PPC's. But if you get the iMac with 2Gb of ram i have heard from a lot of people that it doesn't lag and works pretty good in addition to having 256 MB of vram.
QUOTE Thanks
threatsignal

haha i think the iMac is a bit out of my price range lol, its either macbook or the mini, if its too slow i guess i could use bootcamp and run them on windows.
QUOTE Thanks
threatsignal

oh yeah is it cheaper to buy ram seperately or to buy it when ordering the machine from apple? and if so how much cheaper
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Quote:
oh yeah is it cheaper to buy ram seperately or to buy it when ordering the machine from apple? and if so how much cheaper
yes you can get the ram cheaper from Crucial and install it yourself. i would recommend it if you can do it. Yeah and also the vram. From Apple 1Gb of ram is $300.00 and from crucial it is $195.35 so a big difference.
QUOTE Thanks
threatsignal

oh yeh, also if i use iChat to webcam with AIM users, can windows users see me and will i be able to see them?
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

you know, all of the solutions on this thread are great, but there's an easier way with all the steps on the apple website! use your ipod as a hard drive. that's what i did, and it is ridiculously easy.

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Black macbook | VERY hot battery »