New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - I am so sick of this horrible MOOING!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

StarBrite310

StarBrite310 is on a distinguished road

Okay so I have had my Macbook for about 3 weeks now and the mooing is annoying me soooo much! I have NEVER had this problem with any Mac before. I had an iBook G4 which I absolutely loved. Never did the fan go on and off every second. It's like make up your mind! And the bottom of the computer gets sooooo hot! Also, my bright screen makes a low buzzing sound. Anyone else experience this? I may bring it back to the Apple Store tomorrow and see what they say...maybe they can replace mine with another one. It sucks cuz I love the computer! If it wasn't for all those cows!!! :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Another example of why you never buy a Rev A machine.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...

QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

I read this article about the presense of a thin laminate covering the vent. If that's the cause of extreme heating, the solution is pretty easy.
QUOTE Thanks
StarBrite310

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Another example of why you never buy a Rev A machine.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...

What's a Rev A machine?
QUOTE Thanks
juco

juco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iBook

A 'rev A' is the first release of that product, thus making the next release a 'rev B'.
QUOTE Thanks
StarBrite310

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco
A 'rev A' is the first release of that product, thus making the next release a 'rev B'.
Ah I see. But I never had any problem with a Mac so that never even occured to me! I am sad now =(
QUOTE Thanks
thelox714

thelox714 is on a distinguished road

if its that simple to fix the "mooing" there should be no issue. and if anything else should come up you can always take it down to the apple store. and having a rev A machine always does make sense to get the apple care for the additional time.

i know people have had issues with the support on the phopne. but those **** parts on those machines arent going to be cheap.

my two pennies
QUOTE Thanks
drinkmilk15

mines perfect. no "rev a" problems here. and if nobody bought rev a products, then: 1. none of the problems would get fixed and 2. there would probably be no rev b due to lack of interest in the market of rev a
QUOTE Thanks
cycloneguy2618

Since we're on the topic of Rev "X" machines, do you know when Rev B will be released?
QUOTE Thanks
TBoblp

TBoblp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)

cycloneguy, I was always under the impression that apple did not announce release dates

Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that shit and just play.
-Charlie Parker
QUOTE Thanks
cycloneguy2618

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoblp
cycloneguy, I was always under the impression that apple did not announce release dates

As was I, my guess would be maybe at the conference in August though.
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

Back to the mooing, mine has done it once. It only does it when I launch a non-universal application which is I don't often. I only heard it faintly, and I only hear it in dead silence. I also think a firmware update will fix it, and if there isn't one I won't really mind. I'm happy w/ my new Macbook.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
jim0266

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBrite310
Okay so I have had my Macbook for about 3 weeks now and the mooing is annoying me soooo much! I have NEVER had this problem with any Mac before. I had an iBook G4 which I absolutely loved. Never did the fan go on and off every second. It's like make up your mind! And the bottom of the computer gets sooooo hot! Also, my bright screen makes a low buzzing sound. Anyone else experience this? I may bring it back to the Apple Store tomorrow and see what they say...maybe they can replace mine with another one. It sucks cuz I love the computer! If it wasn't for all those cows!!! :mad:
I have the same issues. I'm hoping a software fix for the mooing. As to the buzz, launch photo booth and see if it goes away.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I've noticed a slight 'mooo' type noise when the fan first spins up. If it's really running hot (like, I accidentally block the vent or something) then it might moo every 4 seconds or so as it's making its mind up. TBH, compared to the constant whine of the thinkpad I had before, it's hardly a distraction :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

I am really happy w/ my Macbook, despite the moo that I've hardly heard. Once I put more Ram into this beast, it will fly.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook Front Row | Black macbook »