New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Pismo OS X Install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mateo107

I'm trying to do a fresh install of OS X (10.2.4 right now) onto a Powerbook Pismo.

I received this PBook Pismo from a friend, specs. are:
G3 500 , 384MB Ram, 20GB HDD, DVD ROM, F/W , etc...

The unit was working with OS 9.2 when I received it, but being an OS X Junkie, I'm upgrading the OS. I've COMPLETELY erased the HDD during my initial OS X install, and attempted a full install onto the (now) clean 19.x GB partition.

After the first install CD completes and the unit reboots, I get the apple boot screen and then I get "static" like lines across the screen and it freezes. I remember that I used to get a similar problem on an older PBook (333) that I had, where I needed to make the partition size smaller or else the OS wouldn't load.

So, I started a new install, set the partition size to:
Primary ~6GB
Secondary ~14GB

And then I did a new install onto the 6GB partition. Same problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Firmware update perhaps? Can I do this by booting from an emergency OS X CD that I have, and run the firmware update from a USB key? (if thats the problem)

Thanks all!
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

The Pismo doesn't require a smaller partition, you should be able to install it on a single 19.x partition. It sounds like there may be some bad sectors on the hard drive. You could boot from the CD and try to run some kind of HD diagnostic (there maybe some free ones on macupdate.com). It is also possible that there is a firmware update available, but I don't remember ever updating the firmware on my pismo. To update the firmware you usually have to have a bootable OS on the hard drive. Do you have an OS 9 CD?
QUOTE Thanks
mateo107

yah, i do have OS 9... so I think i'll try to re-install that first and see how that goes... and work my way up from there...

(unless I get other suggestions)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Try the OS9 and see how that goes. I know of many who have installed even Panther on the Pismo and it went fine. Something is wrong somewhere. If OS9 installs and runs fine, let us know. I will do some searching around the net in the mean time.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo107
yah, i do have OS 9... so I think i'll try to re-install that first and see how that goes... and work my way up from there...

(unless I get other suggestions)
I think that is a good Idea. That is how I installed OSX on mine (9 first then OSX) based on someones recomendation, but I can't remember whose or why they said it was the best way to do it. Let us know if it works.
QUOTE Thanks
Asoulintime1982

There somin seriously worng with your powerbook I have a prismo running Panther on a single 20gb partition and no issues here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 15 inch power book G4- how big ex display? | MBP possible customer »