New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - tomdotcom's MACBOOK first impressions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomdotcom

Just got my new White Macbook yesterday. Here's the specs of the one I got directly from APPLE.

2ghz
100gb HD
1GB RAM

Used it for approx 6 hrs last night and I freakin love it! Have to report a few minor things though as I have read so many problems with it.

1. The PowerBlock makes a faint kinda static hissing sound and is ridiculousy hot almost too hot to touch.

2. I did hear the moo everyone talks about. It happens when the fan starts up at first and is just the noise it makes when the fan first kicks in. However mine doesnt do it on and off and on and off so it's no big deal really.

3. The laptop itself is fairly warm underneath mostly on the left but not TOO warm it definately seems within normal temp ranges for laptops.

Besides those things it is a friggin dream. I am a first time MAC buyer and after messing around with settings and checking out the OS as much as I could last night it is perfect! I would highly reccomend anyone to buy one.

Airport express worked like a dream with absolutely 0 problems reception seems great to me.

Hmmm what else. I heard people talking about the sound volume being too low. That is definately NOT the case with mine the sound level is more then loud enough.

**edit** I also love the screen lots of people complaining about the glossy screen. I think it looks fantastic. No problem there whatsoever.
QUOTE Thanks
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdotcom
Hmmm what else. I heard people talking about the sound volume being too low. That is definately NOT the case with mine the sound level is more then loud enough.
I am curious how loud yours is. Using f4 and f5 to turn the volume down and up, I can no longer hear the audible click once it drops below the half way point. Is yours the same?

I just got my macbook (my first mac) about 4 days ago and other than that and a few other minor things (mostly me trying to get use to it as I have been a Windows user for years, I love it.

Sean
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
I am curious how loud yours is. Using f4 and f5 to turn the volume down and up, I can no longer hear the audible click once it drops below the half way point. Is yours the same?

Sean
Mines like that. I can hear the "click" until I get to the third one on the left. It is really faint though.

And I too hear the buzzing noise that comes from the PowerBlock. Its kind of annoying if your in a quiet room say at night when nothings going on. The sound does stop though when the notebook is sleeping.
QUOTE Thanks
Anil_robo

Anil_robo will become famous soon enough

I just got my new macbook 1.83GHz and am playing iTunes on it. However, I find the sound volume too low in comparison to Dell Inspiron 6000 and Sony Vaio. In fact, just like the post above, I'm unable to hear the "sound blips" once I reduce the volume to about 30%. Is there anything I can do to increase the volume even further? Does everyone has the same thing or is it a defect in my macbook?

(iTunes volume is also maximized, still sound is lower in comparison to my previous laptops)
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

My Power block does not make any noise until I hold it right next to my ear. But then I'm in the UK on a different power system.

With regards to the sound. Yeah it's quiet under 30 odd percent but in iTunes I've put the EQ on to 'Small Speakers' and notched up the 'Pre-amp' to the next line. i find this an adequate solution for music.

But then I don't mind it being quiet as the laptop is so small anyway and the speakers must be bloody tiny to fit in the case.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
ak1nza

ak1nza will become famous soon enough

The way the speakers are placed the sound actually has to reflect off the plastic portion of the screen to reach your ears. This isn't the best method of transferring sound since some of it will be lost when it reflects off the plastic.

Most Dells place their speakers in the open so sound travels directly to your ear. You pay for Apple design unfortunately. ha ha.

I agree though, that volume could be louder.... Oh well.

BLACK MACBOOK (2GHZ, 2GB HDD, 80GB HDD, SUPERDRIVE) <=> RED APPLE LOGO!
QUOTE Thanks
taseal

taseal will become famous soon enough

3. The laptop itself is fairly warm underneath mostly on the left but not TOO warm it definately seems within normal temp ranges for laptops.

not sure how thats a problem?

MacBook White [2Ghz] [2Gb RAM] [60Gb HDD] [Super Duper Drive]
People that keep telling others to search = a**holes, instead be positive, and help, if you have nothing to say, leave the thread alone
QUOTE Thanks
lionel

lionel will become famous soon enough

I've owned about.. 7 laptops so far, getting warm, or hot is normal.

Siemens Nixdorf 50mhz 486, not sure about model.
Compaq presario 513 xl1200
Acer travelmate 220
Siemens Fujitsu P5010
Sony TR1MP (was replaced with a TR2MP as the 1MP was buggy as ****)
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67 "Ultra"

:dummy:

**** = place where naughty people go when they leave this dimension, not a naughy word
QUOTE Thanks
Anil_robo

Anil_robo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1nza
The way the speakers are placed the sound actually has to reflect off the plastic portion of the screen to reach your ears. This isn't the best method of transferring sound since some of it will be lost when it reflects off the plastic.

Most Dells place their speakers in the open so sound travels directly to your ear. You pay for Apple design unfortunately. ha ha.

I agree though, that volume could be louder.... Oh well.
I just solved my problem, partially. While listening to songs in iTunes, I opened up the equalizer, and increased the preamp all the way to full. This way the sound is much more audible now.. without any distortion whatsoever.

I don't mind the other apps playing low volumes, all I needed was iTunes.

Also, Audio Hijack Pro is supposed to be the best audio app... not only increases the "gain" but also several other stackable effects. I'll buy it when I get employment! :p
QUOTE Thanks
Lax32

Lax32 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I get the same hiss with my powerblock, so I dont think you got a defective one that will blow up your house or anything. Gets hot, but I just keep that in mind and I havent had any problems yet.

Mine gets hot, usually 170ish (F). But I use a slipcase between my legs and the laptop or I just put it on a surface, never caused any problems.
QUOTE Thanks
ak1nza

ak1nza will become famous soon enough

This really does work! But... it will only increase volume for iTunes and not anything else....

Good find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil_robo
I just solved my problem, partially. While listening to songs in iTunes, I opened up the equalizer, and increased the preamp all the way to full. This way the sound is much more audible now.. without any distortion whatsoever.

I don't mind the other apps playing low volumes, all I needed was iTunes.

Also, Audio Hijack Pro is supposed to be the best audio app... not only increases the "gain" but also several other stackable effects. I'll buy it when I get employment! :p

BLACK MACBOOK (2GHZ, 2GB HDD, 80GB HDD, SUPERDRIVE) <=> RED APPLE LOGO!
QUOTE Thanks
flyprowlers

Mine gets a little hot too. Manageable but not comfortable for long periods of time.
This lapdesk called Lapinator from Amazon was recommended to me. I bought it w/out hesitating. Since then, I keep the Macbook comfortably on a stable platform. And b/c it rests at a slight angle supported by rubber pegs, the heat is easily dissipated. Plus, when the mac's not on my lap, my coffee table and other furniture are protected. Check it out!
-Fly
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just got my MBP!!! Email Questions. | Can Someone Please Help Me!!! »